US Apple store pricing and tax

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ramases, Oct 12, 2009.

1. ramases macrumors member

Hi, quick question that I wonder if anyone can help me with. Are the prices quoted on the US Apple Store inclusive of tax?

I'm off to NYC in a few days and would like to take advantage of the exchange rate to replace my MacBook with a new Macbook Pro 13". This lists at $1499 (as opposed to £1149 in UK). If I buy from the Apple Store would I also have to pay the 0.0875% Sales Tax. The UK prices include taxes.

Thanks

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I don't think so. Sales tax in the US varies from state to state. You'll only see how much tax is added once you input your shipping address and update.

Here's a list of the sales tax for each state.

3. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

You will indeed have to pay the additional sales tax.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There may also be a city sales tax on top of the state sales tax.

None of the taxes are shown in the price online.

5. ramases thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Folks. I thought that was the case. Looks like I'll pay 8.875% combined Sales and State tax. So the full price will be $1632.03 or approx£1021.00. Saving me £128 - providing I don't get stopped at UK Customs ;)

Thanks for all your help

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get/bring a laptop bag with you and mail the original empty box back home and walk thru with the computer you've been using your whole trip...

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

You might get caught anyway, and if you do you'll likely get a fine in addition to the VAT.

8. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I'll suggest just getting rid of the the Box all together, and carry the Laptop with you in a normal Laptop Bag.

I've Bought in New computers in and out of a lot of countries including the UK, and in most places customs usually doesn't care if you just have one laptop with you, as its so common nowadays.

The only time they are likely to get suspicious is if you have one brand new in the box, and visible. They are also more likely to check if you have alot of luggage, but even then its a bit of a hit or miss of them actually checking.

So in summary, as long as the Macbook's not in its box when you take it back, your not likely to run into any issues.

Also for the Tax, it might be worth asking is store if they have a scheme for Tax free shopping for export. I believe it may possible in NY, but am completely sure.

9. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

lol, how much would it cost to send it? Mind be better off just trashing it or buy an empty box from ebay when you need to sell your mac(the only reason you'd need an empty apple box) :)

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Making use of tax fee shopping for export might well put you into the system, making it more likely that you end up having to declare your purchase. I've never bothered to make use of it (being a resident of one country and a citizen of the other of the two I spend most time in makes me ineligible), so you might want to double check this if you're thinking of using it.