US AppleCare+ for non-US MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kimcha, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Kimcha macrumors regular

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with getting the new AppleCare+ for a MBP that wasn't purchased in the US?

I would like to buy a MBP in Hong Kong, but the new AppleCare+ with accidental damage is only available in the US.

Would a HK MBP be eligible for the Apple Care purchased in the US?

I think the accidental damage replacement is only possible in the US, but I suspect they will eventually within the next three years expand it to all countries (Just liek they did on the iPhone).

That's why I would like to lock it in now.

2. asfalloth macrumors member

asfalloth

I wanted AC+ for my MBP 2017 in the uk, sadly seems to only be available in the USA.

3. Kimcha thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is only available in the US, but you could simply go to the US store and order it from there.

4. asfalloth macrumors member

asfalloth

I’m fairly sure if I did that that it wouldn’t be honoured in the UK

5. pejx72 macrumors newbie

I was in the US last week and picked up an MBP 13 TB. Looked at the Applecare+ in the store. It is not valid anywhere outside the 50 US states. Plain Applecare, however, is pretty much global wherever you buy it (but it's not available in the US any more as far as the Apple Store informed me...)

6. Kimcha thread starter macrumors regular

Is only the accidental insurance invalid outside the US or is even the normal extended 3 years warranty not valid?

Even the normal 1 year apple warranty is valid worldwide. I really can't imagine that the normal non-accidental warranty would only be valid in the US with Apple Care+.

I hope that the normal 3 year warranty is valid everywhere, but the incidental warranty only available in the US for now. But eventually I think they will bring AppleCare+ worldwide within the next 3 years and then the incidental part would be available ouside the US too.

I believe that is what happened with the iPhone AppleCare+.

7. Kimcha, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

Kimcha thread starter macrumors regular

Quick update for anyone else who is wondering about this:

I just chatted with Apple and the person told me:

"Ok so I doubt checked for you and it looks like the accidental damage part wouldn’t be covered but the normal hardware damages can still be covered."
    I think that is perfect. Sometime down the line Apple will make AppleCare+ for Mac available internationally just like they did with the AppleCare+ for iOS devices.

Then you can benefit from the accidental insurance and until then you have nothing to lose.

I would still recommend everyone to inquire about it themselves and make sure to send yourself the chat log to ensure you have something in writing in case there is an issue when you take advantage of it.

Another Update:
    I just contacted them once more over the phone and was told the same thing again. They also said it is no problem to buy the US Apple Care over the phone and it didn't matter that the MBP was from HK.

I used a friend's 2017 MBP's serial number to verify this and they were ready to take my order.

8. Kimcha thread starter macrumors regular

For reference: I just purchased the US Apple Care for my HK MBP.

All good... extended 3 year warranty is valid world wide and accidental insurance in the US only.