US (AT&T) Phone Jailbreak for use in UK?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by blehpunk, Nov 21, 2009.

1. blehpunk macrumors regular

Hello. I'm in the US and have a 3gs on at&t. In January I'm moving to the UK. Since I know that at&t won't unlock my phone, can I jailbreak it to use it on a UK network? Will that risk bricking it if there are future updates when I'm in UK?

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

A Jb and UL is a JB and UL no matter what country you are in.

Why would a firmware update brick your phone ?? :confused:

When there is a firmware update, if you install it, you would just re-JB and re-UL the phone.

3. blehpunk thread starter macrumors regular

i don't know, i haven't had time to keep up with everything, and i thought a lot of folks w/ jailbreaks got bricked awhile back with the 2g.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

When you jailbreak and unlock, which you can do now, it means that you can't just automatically update when Apple offer a firmware update.

Updating won't brick your phone, but it will usually re-lock it, and if you're here in the UK that would clearly be a bad thing, because only your AT&T SIM would work in the phone, on international roaming rates.

Normally, if iTunes offers a firmware update, you refuse, come to this forum, and be patient until you read that the new firmware jailbreak/unlock has been developed (and then you follow the instructions carefully!)

It's not a big deal, the current firmware is good so if you're stuck on it for the next year, it's not usually a problem. But you'd be surprised how many people post here "help me, I accidentally updated my iPhone" :rolleyes:

5. blehpunk thread starter macrumors regular

cool thank you, will do.