US Cellular GALAXY TAB = $199, $55 MONTHLY

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blakjack, Dec 22, 2010.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

I think they're having a hard time moving Galaxy Tabs.

Do people really want to be locked into a 2-year contract on this thing? Half a dozen competitors are going to come out in the next 3-6 months.

2. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

I think it's still and tablet using an fragmented OS (built for smartphones), which in this case makes it very obvious it's not built for a tablet device. When your sales are weak, discount. Just like 95% of all the Android phones on the planet, they come out at one price and within a few weeks it's buy one get one free.

Free trash is still trash. :)

*Trash maybe a bit harsh, but after using a Tab, no way in hell would I spend a dime on an Andriod tablet until they get a UI that properly scales to the larger screens. Rushing crap out is all any Android based tablet is doing until Honeycomb arrives. I keep my fingers crossed for a good quality, no lag, decent UI tablet outside the iPad world. I've used/previously owned the iPad and while it is a great device, and imo the best available. I would love to see a responsive, full featured Android (Honeycomb) tablet show up in 2011. So far the competition is just pushing crap out the door hoping people buy it in the frenzy that the iPad has created.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Not only is it a harsh comment, but it doesn't make any sense, unless you also don't intend to get an iPad (since most of us run a lot of iPhone apps on them).

Android apps scale up quite cleanly to use the full screen on a Tab, unlike using iPhone apps on an iPad... where the choice is either using just a small strip of the screen, or viewing a larger version but with gritty pixel-doubling... still with black unused borders.

Now, if you want to change that to, "I won't buy one until there are some apps that take full advantage of larger screen areas," that would make some sense (albeit cutting off your nose to spite your face, IMO).

6. drjsway macrumors 6502a

How is that not make any sense? Even Google says the current version of Android is not made for tablets. Why would you buy a tablet that the maker of the OS won't support.

Regardless of whether apps scale up or not, a tablet is a very different form factor and requires apps specifically designed for it. Currently, there is no marketplace for apps developed exclusively for tablets. Would you buy a netbook if it can only run apps designed for a smart phone?

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

Hmmm, nobody I know runs " a lot" of iPhone apps on their iPads. In fact, I run exactly ZERO iPhone apps on my iPad (and have 110+ apps installed) and I hope to keep it that way. :)

I think the point being made was that the OS itself is not made for tablet form factor on the Galaxy Tab, not whether the apps scaled up in size are pixelated.

Speaking of the OS, I implore everyone here to check out the All Things D interview / tech demo with that clown Andy Rubin. If anyone is holding their breath for Honeycomb to come out in January or February you've got another thing coming. He had barely anything to show for it just a few weeks ago, it was really sad.

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Maybe I don't understand, but how does a 1024x600 screen display HD video "The way it was meant to be"? Also what about everything else that you use a tablet for?

Sounds like some cheap shots at Apple.

9. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

I could see paying $349.00 without the contract for one. The fact that you have to sign up for 2 years to get mobile broadband access will be a big detractor for this item as most people already have a data plan on their phone so why get 2?

I have the grandfathered 29.00 per month unlimited plan on my ipad and I probably only use the 3G 6 to 12 times a month and never for video.

The other tablet manufactures are going to have to adapt Apples on and off as you want plan if they are seriously trying to compete.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Who said they don't support tablets? Google only said that Android wasn't designed for tablets, which is a totally different thing.

Android works just fine on them and has all the Google support of any device. Heck, I just got a bunch of the latest Google application updates on my Tab. Google Earth, Navigation, Maps, Layars, you name it.

An Android tablet does not require tablet-specific apps. You're thinking of the iPad.

Now, the larger form factor is a different topic. Sure, it would be nice if more apps saw the extra room on startup and took advantage of it. Which is exactly what I said in my post. But current apps work just fine without any change.

This is especially true in the case of the Tab, which is why I responded in the first place. The Tab is only 7", and in many ways it's far more like using a large iPod touch than it is a traditional tablet. (To me, a tablet is A4 paper-sized.)

The point is, the OS doesn't have to be made for a tablet form factor for Android apps to work and look fine.

Granted, the OS will probably add tablet UI elements in the future that sit to one side, much as iOS added to take advantage of the extra room. No doubt that's what Google meant. But you could certainly write apps like that right now, with no OS change needed.

Just ask my daughter. She loves Angry Birds on the Tab, along with piano and guitar apps that are a much more realistic size than on a phone ... but not oversized as they can be on a larger tablet.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Sprint sent me over a Tab to compare against the iPad. Both are great tablets but the iPad is a clear winner and I don't think it's wise to invest in the Tab, especially when Apple is getting ready to release #2.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I also think they're both great, but would not say the iPad is a clear winner with everyone.

Every device has its place.

For the same reason, it's not wise to invest in the iPad v1 either :)

Everyone's waiting for CES and hopefully Apple announcements as well.

This is going to be a great year for gadget lovers. Cheers!

13. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Just watched this. Some cool new features in Maps, especially the use of vectors over bitmaps.

But I agree, Honeycomb could remain vapourware for another half year.

Wouldn't want to comment too much without holding one it my hands, but the GUI looks rather small and fiddly for my liking, especially on the tablet Rubin was using.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There are only two reasons for this.

1. Honeycomb is so far behind schedule that there is nothing to show.
    2. Honeycomb is on schedule, but Google is being secretive due to all the competition from RIM, HP and Apple. This is especially true considering that everyone except from Apple is putting the final touches on their unreleased OSes and could adjust once they saw what Google has in store. iOS4 is currently out there so there is less danger of Apple adding some last minute things to it.

I'm leaning towards #2 because even when something isn't ready for release most companies produce a tech demo to show off their product. Those demos have a lot of polish on the features they want to highlight but the other stuff doesn't necessarily work right.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Rubin showed off the way that app menus and views can display side-by-side on a large tablet, and explained that the same app would display such views behind each other on a phone, as usual.

He also showed that the four main Android buttons could be on-screen instead of physical, and follow orientation changes.

I can't think of anything else Google would need to demonstrate for Honeycomb tablet support.

They don't need to show off a new homescreen launcher, since third party devs can create all sorts of those. Ditto for photo or contact pickers or other items that could be larger / fancier on a big screen. Remember, common item pickers are replaceable on Android.

So I wouldn't have expected much more. It's not like when Apple showed off the iPad, and we got the same old icon grid, just spaced wider.