US Customer - Bad Credit - Options For iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoFelts, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TwoFelts macrumors newbie

Today, I went through the process online to get approved for an AT&T account, and was planning to go buy an iPhone at my local Apple Store. I have bad credit from past mistakes (which I have been working to correct for the past year or so), and, as expected, the system said that a $750 deposit would be required to open an account.

My question is, are there any other options, provided I am looking to buy an iPhone 3G, use it with AT&T, etc. It seems Pay-As-You-Go is not possible? I'm financially able to pay the deposit, but PAYG is my first preference, deposit or not.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I'm pretty sure the deposit is the only way to go at this point unless you buy off of ebay and unlock it.

3. ensign85 macrumors newbie

I did this online, too. I received an e-mail saying I can go pick it up. Only thing is, I don't want to walk into the apple store and find out that I have to pay a deposit. My question: did they tell you that you had to pay the deposit while you were doing the online signup or process or after you did the process and walked into the apple store?

4. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Get t-mobile, they'll take you....

buy iphone 3g on ebay...

jailbreak it...

EDIT: unlock it

BAM, you're golden.

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Except you cant unlock the 3g yet...

But this would work great with a 2g.

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

my 2 cents

here is an idea. If you have that bad of credit, do you really need an iphone. Go get the cheapest phone that your budget can get you and then go take out a 6month personal loan, put it in a seperate money market account that you won't touch, and then slowly pay that back. As you are paying it back take about 100$ a pay check and put it into that same account. reason you do this is because most money market account won't let the balance go below 2500$ because of the extra intrest you make off of them (.5-1% :D). at the end of your 6month loan if you were not late, which you shouldnt be then you will have added a few points to your score (or a lot of points depending on how bad it is).

the iphone is an expensive phone with an expensive plan. plan for the future, don't live in the now.

or just go pay the deposit. whatever works :)

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm not sure that T-Mobile would be my first choice of a carrier with a iPhone 3G as you won't have 3G...

8. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

I have an iphone 3g, with At&t... and live in an area where there is no 3g service. However, I work in an area where we have 3g service and 3g service is all around (outside) where I live.

Honestly, the speed difference between edge and 3g is not enough to totally prevent me from having an iphone 3g. If I could only have t-mobile, that's probably what I'd do........ heh, request a fav 5 app in the app store! lol

9. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

The poster you qouted has been a Macrumors member for 5~ years hardly new :rolleyes:
    Your idea is solid, hardware unlocking the 3G seems to be good.
    However you failed to read the threads here and elsewhere that the iPhone 3g will NOT operate at 3G speeds on T-Mo. (This is assuming a US based user). Seems pretty pointless to spend over $700 for a phone that will not really do squat on another network. The OP will get the $750 back in a year w/interest so its a short term hit.
    AT&T
    -/+ Depo, BUT its returned in a year w/interest
    + No worries about firmware blowing the sim unlock out
    + Visual VM
    + AT&T Wireless access @ participating retailers
    + 3g speed where and if its available.
    + Native tech support

T-Mo
    - NO 3g speed
    - worries about firmware updates blowing out the sim unlock
    - No iPhone tech support ( carrier wise )

10. phaggard macrumors regular

I don't think the deposit is for the phone. Isn't the deposit for the AT&T service in general? Won't they ask for a deposit no matter what phone you get?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Excellent advice.

12. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

you totally cut out the main part of that advice lol but thanks:D

13. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

The deposit is for the AT&T service. It has nothing to do with actually buying the phone. After a year of paying your phone bill on time your deposit will be credited back with interest.