US Education discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Omgictu, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Omgictu macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm a student in the UK, so can get a 14% discount here. However, I'm off to California to study for a year. Can someone tell me if the educational discounts in the States are comparable? I've tried to look online but there's only a $100 discount. If there are extra discounts how much would a blackbook cost (inc. discount and California taxes)? In the UK I can get it for about £816 with AppleCare for an £60- roughly $1750.

Cheers!
    Omgictu

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Its usually $50 for the mini, $100 for the MacBook and iMac, $200 for the MPB, and varies on the MacPro, at least as the discounts directly from Apple go, buy default. Many schools sell Apple Hardware and Software and a better rate, while still other schools have special deals to get better discounts for students. Since student pricing is optional, there is no across-the-board percentage discount, sorry.

TEG

4. Omgictu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

From other threads I'm assuming I can get Applecare for around $120 if a shop around a bit?

5. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

you can also check out the latest refurbs, they offer great value

6. benjaminbr macrumors member

If you get it outside of california, you can avoid the 110 dollars in state tax.