US Expats, thanksgiving plans?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Nov 22, 2010.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

So I find myself for the 7th time overseas for Thanksgiving(my choice really) and although I like living abroad, I do miss the old country sometimes :p

Anyway, I was just curious to see what other American expats are doing for Thanksgiving? I'm going the "traditional" route and having Lunch on Saturday at Hard Rock Cafe :p

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Nothing, Thursday is a regular old workday and so is Friday here in Japan. Today is a holiday though, so I'm off work.

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I actually have to work on Thanksgiving, so that is a bummer. But I'm going to meet up with my family after work and watch some Jets football.

(And I consider myself living in a foreign country because I'm originally from NY and people in Texas seem so high on the idea that they should be their own country) :D

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Bummer you have to work on Thanksgiving. But you're gonna torture yourself more by watching the stinkin' Jets?

:p

5. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

When I lived in Shanghai, many reputable restaurants and catering companies would cater you a full Thanksgiving meal, scaled to the size of your family, every year. It's a bit difficult for the average person to find a 20-pound turkey in China, complete with all the trimmings. So the professionals took care of it. Unfortunately it cost a rather hefty sum of money, but for a taste of home, it was usually worth it.

Unfortunately they didn't have it during Canadian Thanksgiving, so my family usually just went out. :(

Happy Thanksgiving though. And cherish living abroad! Few have the opportunity.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've been torturing myself my whole life watching the stinking JETS!

But I'm enjoying this season. ;)