US I-Phone in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hitemuprobbo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. hitemuprobbo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Ive wanted an I-phone for ages but cudnt really justify the price tag, my cousin in the US has said when he comes over this month i can have his as he doesnt want it anymore. My question is:

Can i use a US I-Phone in the UK??? He said AT&T said to him he couldnt do that, and Vodafone have said to me i could but wouldnt tell me how???? lol

Ive looked around the net and got various different answers. Im only interested in doing this if it causes no future problems or jailbreaks, or problems with official updates/i-tunes or anything dodgy like that. Is there an easy legitimate way to do this??

Thank you in advance ;)

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Unfortunately your only option here would be to jailbreak and unlock, as AT&T will not unlock an iPhone under any circumstances. They somehow have this idea that since they're the official US carrier, nobody could ever possibly have a need to use an iPhone on another network :(

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Find out what kind of iphone model he has and what firmware he's running.
    If its a 2G you can unlock it easy. If its a 3G or 3GS thats been updated to 3.1.3 you will not going to be able to unlock it.
    Assuming you will want to JB and software unlock it. Without a jailbreak you will not be able to use any simcard besides AT&T's on a US iphone.