US iPhone 5S working in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by greenorange12, Apr 18, 2014.

1. greenorange12 macrumors newbie

Hello!

At the moment I am working in Europe, but going back to live in US. It's so does happen that next month I am travelling to US for work, and I want to buy a USED iPhone 5S 32GB.

My iPhone 4 from AT&T works just fine in Europe, but this far I wasn't able to get clear answers about iPhone 5S:

-I have 'heard' iPhone 5S from AT&T will work in Europe, has anyone tried this?
    -Does anyone know of a phone provider which iPhone 5S also works in Europe?
    -If I bough iPhone 5S previously from AT&T- do I need to unlock it?
    -If I bough iPhone 5S from any provider- do I need to unlock it?
    -Would US iPhone 5S work on 4G network?

Thanks much for your help!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Read up on LTE(4G) bands. No phone sold in the US supports ALL of the bands used throughout Europe, although some support most.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-faq/differences-between-iphone-5s-models.html

The AT&T model will possibly need to be unlocked. Apple sells a "Sim Free" unit that is carrier unlocked. The best model to buy(in the US) is the Verizon model. It is fully carrier unlocked AND it works on AT&T, T-Mobile in addition to Verizon. All of these models support the same bands, which include MOST(but not all) of the European bands.

3. greenorange12 thread starter macrumors newbie

The link is very helpful, plus thank you for clarification. I will look into Verizon iPhones. Thanks again!