(US) iPhone 6S Unlocked on launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartinATL, Sep 22, 2015.

1. MartinATL macrumors newbie

Hi,

I’m sorry if there’s a thread about this already, but I couldn’t find one. I travel a lot since I live in two countries, so I need my iPhone unlocked. Does anyone know if I can get the unlocked sim-free version on launch in Apple Stores? I’ve tried Best Buy and T-mobile, but they only have sim-locked versions.

I wanted to pre-order, but I didn’t have the option to buy the sim-free version (http://i.imgur.com/FUr6Iya.png), which makes me wonder if Apple will sell the sim-free unlocked version at all on launch? I’m ****ed if they don’t, because my current iPhone is ---- this close to die on me!

Anyone know? Thanks!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The official SIM free version does not go on sale until usually a few months after launch. The phones will be unlocked if bought in full. If they are not, you just call the carrier and they have to unlocked a paid in full device.

Last year the verizon and t-mobile phones were unlocked right away. ATT will probably be the exact same.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

There won't be SIM free at launch, but you should be able to buy "device only" for full price at the Apple Store and it will be unlocked.

4. MartinATL thread starter macrumors newbie

Crap, I thought that since Apple finally offered sim-free iPhones in the US now, that they would continue that for the new iPhone, like they do in Europe...

I mean I’m prepared to pay the full price anyway, so I wouldn’t mind doing that. Guess I have to check with my Apple Store and see what they can do.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

This has how it's always been in the US. Once the launch hype is over, they will release a sim-free version. Even the ones that are unlocked for the iPhone upgrade program come with a SIM card for the respected carrier you are buying it for.

6. reyalP macrumors 6502

reyalP

What's the difference between the sim free version and one that is contract free unlocked?

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

One comes with a SIM card, the other does not.

8. MartinATL thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean "comes with a sim card"? If say I want the T-mobile option, which is to pay the phone in full. Do I actually have to register for a plan, or can they waive that in store? I’m a T-mobile customer right now (albeit just pre-paid pay as you go customer).

9. richbarbal macrumors member

If you choose tmobile you dont have to register. You pay full price, the y give you the phone with the sim card of tmobile buy you can take it out and use the sim card you want.
    Remember you have to buy it in an Apple Store and pay full price.

10. MartinATL thread starter macrumors newbie

And it’s unlocked? If it is, then I’ll definitely do that! Thanks!

11. alperduran217 macrumors member

alperduran217

I live in another country too. I pre-ordered T-Mobile version. When you buy a T-Mobile version of iPhone from Apple Store you just throw out the T-Mobile sim card and put your own sim card. But i'll use the 6s on Europe in September 28th. I could give you information about T-Mobile version. Just send me PM on September 28.

12. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Verizon version is unlocked out of the box per US regulation. 100%.
    Other versions are unlocked if bought at full price from Apple. (based on other posts here)