US iPhone 8 In Belgium Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnvt, Sep 25, 2017.

1. nnvt macrumors newbie

Hi!

Quick question here I am planning to get an iPhone 8 and since my dad is going to the US next week, I decided to check the pricing and it does look very appealing.

In the US I would have to pay about 671€ vs the 919€ I have to pay here in Belgium.

Problem is LTE bands though. My carrier (Telenet) uses bands 800 (mostly), 1800, 2600 and a few others but those are the most common.

I also know the warranty isn't international but I'm hoping the authorized reseller/service point (called switch) can repair it.

Is this at all a feasible option? I don't mind saving up a little more but the price difference is really appealing though? Any experiences or tips you might want to share?

Thanks

2. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems like the bands are supported. The only problem will be getting an unlocked one as according to apple.com there are no stores in san fransisco or washington that currently have it. I'm hoping they will have some by next week though.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    Do you happen to know if they'll deliver it to a hotel? None of the stores in San Francisco are available for pickup so that doesn't seem like an option

3. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

AT&T/T-Mobile have the same model as the European model.

Device only always seems to be more difficult in the US compared to the EU though...

4. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

You can buy device only from the official apple store only it seems, none of the stores in san francisco have it available for pickup so I'm hoping I can get it to deliver to my hotel

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Keep your eye on istocknow.com as the stocks will change day to day and sometimes during the day as well.

Note that as it is Monday morning right now, stores may not have received any stock since Saturday.

I'd be surprised if you could get a delivery to your hotel, for fears of fraud, but worth a shot.

As above, if you buy the phone for full price at the Apple store, the T-Mobile and AT&T models should be unlocked (unless something's changed since prior years). No need to activate on their network either. Easily tested with your own SIM.

ALSO - assuming nothing's changed since last year, when you order for in-store pickup, they will hold it for at least a few days. That could allow you to identify and buy one prior to arrival if needed.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I don’t think they’ll deliver to a hotel.

7. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

!) Are there tax implications on imports to Belgium?
    2) Apple usually requires items being signed for

8. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Most likely he wouldn’t be reporting it when importing. Otherwise he wouldn’t save any money. It’s illegal though.

9. nnvt thread starter macrumors newbie

They now have stock in most stores in sf so I no longer need to get it delivered at the hotel. Just to make sure, let's say I buy an unlocked iPhone 8 plus directly from the apple store, this would be model A1864 right? After doing some research it seems like the european model is exactly the same except for the fact that it's missing something to make it work on Verizon and Sprint. So the A1864 should perfectly work in the eu right?

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

No, you want the AT&T T-Mobile model which is Model A1897.

11. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Why would he want that model? It has the same bands as the Verizon/Sprint model, except it doesn’t support CDMA and uses an Intel modem.

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The Verizon model is the same as sim-free. You can buy that model w/o a Verizon account in-store.

13. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Because it’s the same model as sold in Belgium, he’s more likely to get Genius Bar assistance back in Belgium (if required) if he has the Belgian model.