US iPhone being used in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlairJamesMuir, Oct 3, 2015.

1. BlairJamesMuir macrumors newbie

BlairJamesMuir

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on US iPhones being used in the UK?

I have read online that people manage this with no problems, but I have also been told that is not possible.
    The model number I have is A1549, I travel between on business and want to know if I can swap about with no problems.

Thanks

2. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Swap about what? SIM cards?

If so, you'd need an unlocked iPhone for that to work. If it's not unlocked, I would imagine roaming with your current provider if your only option.

3. Mikedave macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Any unlocked 6s will do just fine. This year all models have all LTE bands to support pretty much any carrier. Either it's a CDMA or GSM providers. Just put a sim in your 6s and you good to go. It would be better to purchase AT&T model a1633 to have all 23 LTE bands. So far I tried 3 different providers including Verizon with CDMA it's all works out great with LTE signal.
    Good luck

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I am on Verizon, and 3 years ago I was on a trip to UK; I called Verizon and asked them before I left and they told me how to do it. I bought a SIM card at a phone store; switched SIMs and all was well. when I returned home, I switched the sim back and all was still fine. This was an iPhone 4S.

5. Igglepiggle macrumors newbie

A1549 iPhone 6
    A1633(AT&T) iphone6s
    Both US models work in UK with all network providers.
    I'm currently running a 6s I brought back from the USA AT&T model and no problems. Did the same last year with the 6 and no problems.
    I'm usually in the states every year in time for the iPhone release and save at least £100 buying Apple goods out there.