US iPhone in the UK - App Store Weirdness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by somtom, May 5, 2009.

1. somtom macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been roaming in the UK with my US iPhone for the last month but have noticed in the last week that my App Store is all now priced in pounds when I access it over wifi from my phone - i.e. it's the UK App Store.

As my iTunes account and all my past App downloads are US (dollars), I can no longer download Apps or update old ones from the phone as it only wants me to use the UK App Store. I can still do it from my laptop, but the phone won't seem to budge. 've already tried switching off location services to fool it into thinking I'm back in Boston, but... no luck.

Is there anyway I can get round this and get back to the US App Store on my iPhone other than flying back home?

Also, thinking long-term, if I settle in the UK permanently like it seems I will, what will happen to the $50+ of US-based Apps I've bought and love when I get a UK iPhone and UK iTunes account? Any way to transfer all of them?

:confused:

Hope someone can help.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

It seems weird that this is happening considering you have an US iTunes account.
    Will you still have a US billing address if you do move here permanently? Because if you will you can still get things from your US account because you will be able to log out/in to it via iTunes.. could pose a problem with Apps on the phone though

Tough question, hope you get it sorted.

3. somtom thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that once I have a credit card in the UK, I would like to switch to UK iTunes and App Store as it will be more relevant to living here in the UK. But if I do that do I lose all my US-bought Apps or lose the ability to update them?

I get the feeling that if Apple weren't a US company they would've put more thought into these things like Nokia do.