US Iphone UK Activation Question..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EnderXi, Nov 6, 2007.

1. EnderXi macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Got a US iphone on the way, its pristine and locked to AT&T now im personally on o2 in the UK, if i wait till the release of the 1.1.2 firmware and upgrade it then activate it using my o2 sim and continue with my current contract is that even something thats possible or will i need to jailbreak and simfree the 1.1.1 firmware?

Another question is would it automatically upgrade me onto their £35 a month tariff from my current contract by going through the activation process?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I doubt anyone will know the answer until it's officially released, but if you were successful in using it on O2's network you'd likely have to switch to the special iPhone plan to use it.

3. jontucker macrumors 6502

I would be very surprised if you will be able to use the phone at all in the UK without unlocking it. Good luck with that.

4. EnderXi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah im dubious on it too, looks like it will be stick with 1.1.1 and jailbreak it and use Simfree software to get it working with my current o2 contract, it does kinda shoot them in the foot tho because while i havent got the phone from o2 i wish to give them 18 months worth of contract by signing up with them and activating with them.

I guess what i might do is unlock the phone and sell it off on ebay and then buy a o2 locked one already which is the only other option as i see it currently.

5. jontucker macrumors 6502

Unless you buy and activate a UK version phone you won't get the O2 iPhone contract which has the unlimited data. Kinda defeats the object of owning an iPhone if you ask me!

6. EnderXi thread starter macrumors newbie

I have spoken with o2 and on the Apple forums with an o2 rep and they have confirmed that it is not possible currently to activate a US phone with the o2 contract but they are discussing the possibility, it should not hurt apple one way or another as i still buy the phone from them and they get their cut as im signing up for the official contract and they got their cut from buying the phone in america too so all in all they are only punishing themselves.