US iPhone4 in the Philippines: questions, help...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gee3, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Gee3 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help!

I will be traveling abroad to the Philippines (PI) for the first time and would like to use my iPhone4. I've jb'd it and unlocked it but now I'm questioning if I really need to swap out to a local sim card since I'll only be there for about 3 days.

I only plan to use it to let my family in the US know I've arrived safely and maybe give a couple updates via text, email and phone calls and maybe even some facebook updates for my family. I may also use it to call my buddy just in case I can't locate him when I get to the PI airport, but other than that I don't really plan to use it locally in the PI.

So, my question is, would it be advantageous to swap in a local sim card for the 3 days I'm there or would it be better to just get the Int'l Roaming Option from AT&T and just cancel it at the end of the month?

I'm guessing with the PI sim card making calls to the US would be costly too but I'm not sure how the Int'l sim cards work. Or do they have a sim card with a prepaid amount for calls and data in the PI for the Iphone4?

I'll use wifi when at all possible and make sure I turn off data roaming and so on so I don't get charged an arm and a leg by AT&T.

Thanks for any light you can help shed for me.
    Gary

PS - I hope this isn't a repost because my search skills are rather lacking on this subject. Or at least I couldn't find anything when i did a search.

2. Gee3 thread starter macrumors newbie

One more quick question...

Do I need an international charging plug to recharge the phone in the PI?

Thanks!

3. xkylar macrumors newbie

I was just there a few months ago. SIM cards there cost less than $3 & prepaid is the most popular way to go. Their rates are cheap enough for text messages & calls. Forget getting data service coz it's slower than 56K for prepaid subscribers.

Your regular charger will work since it's the same type of plug & it's dual voltage. Only problem I think you'll run into is the micro sim cards. I don't know if they carry it. Globe is the official iPhone carrier there so they might be able to help you. If anything scissors are your friend.