Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F0kke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
Hi, I recently voided the warranty of my brandnew MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2011, A1278) by letting someone poor a tiny sip of beer into it. After totally disassembling and cleaning it I now again have a working system (with external usb keyboard), with the exception of the internal keyboard. The keyboard appears to be the problem, which I have removed from the topcase. (LED Backlight works fine)

After having it removed I soaked the keyboard in 96% alcohol and let it sit for 48 hours. Nothing seems to have changed, still there only seem to be a few buttons working, plus the CRTL key seems to function as the power button.

I'm now eager to buy a new keyboard and putting it back together again, but unfortunately I can only find US keyboards for sale here in The Netherlands. Since the Return/Enter (L shape on EU, bar shape on US) key and the backslash key are physically different on the US version, I was wondering if I could simply use the buttons from the EU keyboard and snap them onto the US keyboard? Or will this simply not work and am I forced to buy an entire topcase?

I'm sure some of you will have some useful answers to this question. Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.