US keyboard!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rogue., Apr 30, 2010.

1. Rogue. macrumors regular

OK, so my new MBP came with a US keyboard, even though I ordered a UK version.

My question is: Do you think this a quick fix at an Apple store, eg swap the 2 incorrect keys and remap the keyboard. Or will I have to send this puppy back?

Also, has anyone else experienced this mistake on the new MBP's?

2. Hadron macrumors regular

You'll find that there are more than 2 keys different between US and UK layouts. In fact I think that the Apple US layout has one fewer key (there's just a wide shift to the left of the Z), and has a few keys which are differently shaped (such as a low, wide enter key rather than a thin, tall one), so if you want the actual Apple UK layout you'll need to get the machine swapped - the unibody means you can't just fit a different keyboard (because some of the holes will be the wrong shapes).

If you can live with remapping then that's perfectly possible (number of threads here discussing that). Whether you'll be able to persuade Apple to swap the keys to a "non-standard" layout I don't know.

But the Apple UK keyboard isn't quite like other UK keyboards anyway, e.g. the "| \" key being above the right shift rather than left of the Z, while the @ and " are swapped (like a US keyboard). So you'll anyway have to choose between reprogramming your muscle memory or remapping the keyboard - I'll be doing the latter.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

The will for sure not quick fix it in an Apple Store. You'll probably have to send it back .. or get used to it.