Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
I'm currently working in the states for a week.... wishing my trip was two weeks later ( around the 7th August would have been nice ! ).

I was considering buying another apple tv, but with the price of the mac mini I thought I might as well get one of them ( about £320 with sales tax ).

I'm not too concerned if the mac mini gets updated in a few weeks ( or discontinued ? ) as it will only be used for Frontrow use, internet and email.

My concern is what will be the easiest way to safely get power to it once I get it back to the uk ( and don't say a power lead ! ).

Is it just a kettle type plug connector, do I need some type of step down convertor, or just a simple us to uk plug adapter ? Any links are appreciated.

Thanks.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
My concern is what will be the easiest way to safely get power to it once I get it back to the uk.

A power lead ;)

Seriously, though, you just need to buy a US to UK plug adapter which should cost about £2. The voltage should be fine.

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
Check the power supply too, see if it is dual voltage (100 - 240V) and you might be able to get a UK Edison-type plug power cable that you could just plug into the power supply.

ebony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Check the power supply too, see if it is dual voltage (100 - 240V) and you might be able to get a UK Edison-type plug power cable that you could just plug into the power supply.

power supply does state 100-240v on it. By UK Edison type plug I assume this is what is understood ( in the uk ) as a standard kettle type plug ?

Either way the connection to the power brick for the mini looks to be proprietry to Apple so a US to UK plug adapter should do the job.

I'm waiting until after this tuesday in the slim hope an update is announced before doing anyting ! But in the back of my mind I'm thinking £320 for a computer that can do internet, email and office type jobs and is OS X, has got to be good value for money whether it gets updated or not...... or should I save a few coppers and just get an apple tv ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.