US mac mini for UK use

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ebony, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ebony macrumors regular

I'm currently working in the states for a week.... wishing my trip was two weeks later ( around the 7th August would have been nice ! ).

I was considering buying another apple tv, but with the price of the mac mini I thought I might as well get one of them ( about £320 with sales tax ).

I'm not too concerned if the mac mini gets updated in a few weeks ( or discontinued ? ) as it will only be used for Frontrow use, internet and email.

My concern is what will be the easiest way to safely get power to it once I get it back to the uk ( and don't say a power lead ! ).

Is it just a kettle type plug connector, do I need some type of step down convertor, or just a simple us to uk plug adapter ? Any links are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A power lead ;)

Seriously, though, you just need to buy a US to UK plug adapter which should cost about £2. The voltage should be fine.

3. ebony thread starter macrumors regular

4. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Check the power supply too, see if it is dual voltage (100 - 240V) and you might be able to get a UK Edison-type plug power cable that you could just plug into the power supply.

5. ebony thread starter macrumors regular

power supply does state 100-240v on it. By UK Edison type plug I assume this is what is understood ( in the uk ) as a standard kettle type plug ?

Either way the connection to the power brick for the mini looks to be proprietry to Apple so a US to UK plug adapter should do the job.

I'm waiting until after this tuesday in the slim hope an update is announced before doing anyting ! But in the back of my mind I'm thinking £320 for a computer that can do internet, email and office type jobs and is OS X, has got to be good value for money whether it gets updated or not...... or should I save a few coppers and just get an apple tv ?