US Mac Student Pricing Proof--HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vchalupa, Feb 4, 2008.

1. vchalupa macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a MBP this summer and I am going to be entering college as an undergraduate freshman in the fall. I am new to Apple and it will be the first Apple laptop I buy.

I would ideally like to buy the laptop just before I move in to college like sometime in August. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be abroad on vacation until the third week of August and the end of August is move in day for university freshman. If I order my MBP online when I'm on vacation, a week before I'm due back home, will I be able to get the student discount? And how would I prove myself as a university student? How do you prove yourself as a university student with online purchases anyway? I want to go with a customized MBP and not a pre-built one like the ones on display in the stores.

Would it be smarter to buy the MBP before I go off on vacation, sometime in early July? Cuz if that's the case, then I gotta start saving up some extra cash right away cuz I expected to get some money over vacation.

And does it complicate things if my billing address is different than my shipping address?

2. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I bought mine with a student discount and I didn't have to prove anything.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I wouldn't worry about proof. Apple generally does not check for that, and if they do, they will likely be very lenient about it.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive been checked 2/3 times

6. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

That's really odd... since I've been to school I have bought 2 apples comps and I have never had to give proof. Maybe they just don't trust you! Just joking.

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The only time we have been checked was at the Apple Store.

Online was never asked to provide docs, however that being said we normally order Software online and hardware at the Apple Store.

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

well

call 1800myapple and tell them the truth

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

They don't check you. Be honest though, or they'll start.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

A letter of acceptance will do the trick for you.

They do audit a small percentage of online orders and most of the stores will ask for your id, again, you letter of acceptance will work.