us MacBook Pro in uk - adapter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wwe2008, Aug 9, 2008.

1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

will the Uk power adaptor power/ charge the Us macbook pro?
    thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll need the plug adapter, but the bricks are compatible otherwise.

3. HTrig macrumors member

I dont see why not. both cables run through a small transformer anyway to make sure that the current and voltage are just right. It stands to reason that both cables will output the same power and current. IT should fit and you should be set.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Of course it will, as long as you have the appropriate plug/socket adaptor for the country of destination. Any laptop I have had for the past decade (both Windows and more recently, a Mac) came with the UK/Ireland standard socket; that means carrying and using the appropriate adaptors for mainland Europe and elsewhere when travelling abroad.
    Cheers.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod classic 30 GB

5. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

You'd be hard pushed to find a laptop sold in the last few years that didn't have an adapter capable of multiple voltages.

Either you can go and rip yourself off getting the Apple adapters, or some swanky ones, or you can just treat yourself to a £1/US$2 figure-of-eight kettle lead adapter from most electronics shops in the UK. They work fine, just stuff a 3A fuse in the plug.

6. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

so I'll go to the apple store and pick up a UK MacBook Pro adaptor and chuck away/ sell etc the US?
    it's not for me but my friend. thinks it's easier and saving money from the US.
    thanks

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

You will.

However it won't be cheaper if you get it in the US and take advantage of tax free shopping - because you have to leave the country with the item sealed in box, and then you'll be liable for UK import duty and VAT, making it no cheaper than here in the UK.

The only thing you can do is throw away the box and suchlike and hope they don't spot search and ask to see proof it was a UK purchase.

I've worked with people that his has happened to...

8. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks I thought it would fry.

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

It's not only laptops these days - most of the equipment I have that needs plugged in to a wall socket can operate on both voltages.