US Macbook Wifi compatability with Europe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattJessop, Jun 7, 2007.

1. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but alas, searching has not eased my pains, so I'm going to ask away.

I plan to buy a Macbook when I'm over in the US in July. However, I just realised that the US Wifi channels are not exactly the same as the European ones (not to mention some US channels are illegal in Europe and Vice-Versa)
    Is this actually a problem with the Macbooks? As far as I was aware, it's all software based with OS X, so as long as my localisation is set to the UK, it should use European Wi-Fi channels.

Can anybody confirm this for me? It would be a bummer to find out that it's unchangeable and for me to get back here and find that Wifi doesn't work (I refuse to use wires these days XD)

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. dex22 macrumors regular

You can use the airport card with a UK localisation.

However, be warned that customs have become expert at recognising that you're importing the laptop. If you bring in a MBP with a US keyboard, and you're English, they'll happily charge import duty on it.

As an ex-pat Brit, I speak from experience. :(

3. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yeah, I'm well aware of the risks of customs. I know people who have managed to get through it (maybe it's just Manchester Airport being really lax about it) - but I'm willing to pay the tax if needs be. (it's still cheaper than it is over here WITH the VAT added on.)

Of course, this is mainly because I have a friend with an educational discount living over there who I am visiting. So of course if I wasn't already going, the flight costs would more than cancel out the cost of the macbook :)

Thanks for your reply. I've done some checking on the Apple website, and Airport Extreme supports Channels 1-13, which is right in the UK channels :)

Of course, Channels 12 and 13 are illegal in the US, so I'll make sure not to use them there. Not that it'd really matter too much I hope, heh)