US Mini in UK

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ranny2, Sep 2, 2011.

1. ranny2 macrumors member

Hi,

I have decided to buy the entry level Mac Mini as my primary computer. To save money, I plan on buying it during an upcoming trip to New York, as I am from the UK, it is much cheaper over there.

I was just wondering what power cables/adaptors I will need to buy in order to make it work. Is the different voltages a problem?

Links to exactly what I will need to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm pretty sure the Mini's internal power supply can accommodate various voltages. You'll just have to get the proper cord for it.

3. ranny2 thread starter macrumors member

That's great! What and where would I get the cord for it?

Thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Look at the power port on the far left of this picture: https://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

You'll need something that goes in there. Any thing that fits into there and a mains socket will do.

5. wpotere Guest

You can buy a US to UK adapter at an electronic shop (cheap) or you can go to Apple and buy a UK cord which will cost a lot more. I used to use my Macbook in Germany. It can handle the differences in voltages.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It doesn't need to be an Apple branded cord. Many consumer electronics have that plug. All that's needed it one that fits into there.

7. wpotere Guest

True, but it might be hard to find. Easiest way is to get an adapter for the plug and be done with it.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. wpotere Guest

Fair enough, I didn't even know what type of plug was on the back. I simply answered the question by telling the OP he/she can get an adapter for like 2 dollars. Sometimes they key the cords so you have to buy from them or try to modify it. I guess Apple doesn't do this so a 7 pound cord will work. :rolleyes:

The point, it can easily be done.

10. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Done that myself US/UK. You can pick up the cord from Dixons or Best Buy (UK) or even PC world.

Real easy and no voltage problems.

Done it before and I will do it again.

Enjoy your trip.