US Model Vs UK Model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grumpyman, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Grumpyman macrumors regular

Grumpyman

Hi (I did a search for this but no luck so please don't shout if there is already a thread).

I am from the UK, but what would there be any issues if I bought a US model?
    Thinking iTunes accounts or keyboards etc etc.

Planning to buy a 13inch rMBP. Configuration I want costs £1839 in the UK apple store

I am planning to go to the US in a few months and the same machine would cost about $2199 in the US apple store

when you do the conversion I would save £500 if I buy in the US which is crazy...

thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there's only a minor difference, i.e., the keyboards are different other then that they're probably the same.

3. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

The computer is basically the same. Software-wise you won't have any trouble. Hardware-wise you'll need to adapt to the US keyboard (or buy some kb skin and keymap it according to the UK layout). You'll also have to buy a plug like this, since it comes with a US adapter:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1388229905&seller=&sr=8-4

Hope it helped :)

4. Grumpyman thread starter macrumors regular

Grumpyman

Thanks Mike.
    Crazy thing is I can get a flight to US cheaper than £500 so it would be cheaper to fly to the US buy the MBP and fly back the UK......not that i would of course

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That and the plug on the charger (which is interchangeable). The rest of it is configured when you set up OS X so you can still use your UK iTunes account.

Just be aware that you could be hit for import duty and VAT if Customs spot it so it might be a good idea to ditch the box before travelling home.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct on both - I forgot about the power cord and you're right, they see the box they'll be more then likely to extract their pound of flesh, i.e., VAT

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Same story for anywhere else in the EU, plus my native Switzerland.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Don't think this is right. You will pay VAT in the country you buy it in and when you return to the UK there is a special route through custom for travellers from the EU.

I use a US purchased Macbook Pro in London bought when I lived in New York. The keyboard is different but has never been a problem for me.

9. dirtnnasty macrumors member

yes you pay the VAT at US but can claim it back if you don't stay longer than 3 months.

Back at the EU you have to pay your tax, if you go through the red gate

10. everfangomanga macrumors member

Other people have mentioned this, but the keyboard is a little different. Not by much, but I think the return key is a bit different, and probably affects the other keys. Also, the symbols ($,@,etc) are different. If you have an address in US you can send it to and order online, you can choose which keyboard to go with your computer. Might not be a viable option for you, but it's an option.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you saying if you walk into an Apple Store in New York City they'll charge you the VAT for a purchase and not the local and state taxes? I don't think that's right - at least based on what've seen posted here through the years.

12. dirtnnasty macrumors member

no the local tax...

but the focus of my sentence is, to inform the customs at the airport, you brought something and you have to pay tax...

So if you do not claim the local tax you pay tax "twice"...

13. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Not sure I get the keyboard deal. KB is cheap, sold separately, and rather large. Why buy one with the CPU and carry it back?

14. amoda, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

To summarise what others have said, and to back them up (I'm a Canadian studying in the UK, so I travel between NA/UK regularly):

1. The differences are minor. The enter key is slightly larger on the UK version, and the £ symbol replaces the # symbol on the 3.

2. The plug is different, but interchangeable (the extension cord is not).

3. Apple's 1 year & AppleCare warranties are world wide for laptops

4. On your way back to the UK take the laptop out of the box. If you want the box ship it to yourself, or otherwise trash it.

5. If you're only traveling to the US to pick the laptop, it may be worth your time to go to a tax-free state. The most eastern tax-free state I believe is New Hampshire. Of course keep in mind ticket cost and sight-seeing possibilities (You may find it cheaper or overall more worthwhile to go to NYC, NY, despite the 8.875% tax).

Edit: Re#5: Keep in mind that in NA the price listed is prior to taxes, unlike the UK which is tax included. So in NY it would be 2199 * 1.08875= ~2,394. Also, I don't know about the US, but in Canada there are proper environmental disposal fees that are added to electronic sales.

The built-in keyboard is different

15. Grumpyman thread starter macrumors regular

Grumpyman

Thanks,. Very helpful replies. Didn't realise the US Apple store price was prior to tax which makes it less of a consideration now.

cheers

16. dirtnnasty macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is a good idea to recommend to "put the MB out of the box before the flight"...

This is tax evasion...

17. Ramasjang macrumors member

If you order it online from the US Apple store, you can choose the layout of your keyboard under the Keyboard and Documentation option.

18. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

If you buy from an authorized Apple reseller (MacMall or BH) you can skip taxes - the latter one only applies them to NY.

----------

Just curious, do you mean that if I'm going to take a laptop to Europe I cannot bring the box with me because I'll have to pay taxes (if it's spotted)?
    What if you travel often, you can bring the computer in one flight and the box in other in order to avoid VAT?

19. Bear macrumors G3

He'll be in the US buying it in which case it means he would have to pay the local sales tax at the store he buys it at.

Why would you want to take the box with you? You'd want a laptop in a proper laptop case or bag to protect it.

20. snoylekim macrumors member

The closest Apple Store in a tax free state to NYC is the Apple Store in The Christiana Mall in Newark, Delaware .. about 2 - 2.5 hours drive south from NYC , depending on traffic straight down I-95 . Much closer than NH ...

21. amoda macrumors 6502a

Thank you for correcting me! I was just going off my rudimentary knowledge of the US.

22. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

The best thing would be to buy the Mac online and have it shipped to a US address so you can specify the keyboard. Ship it to the hotel.