US Network Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lingham, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Lingham macrumors regular

Hi,

This might seem a dumb question but do you just have one phone network in the states (AT&T) or is it just one phone who supplies the iPhone?

As i see all these hating AT&T threads so I just think just change networks?

2. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

There are many U.S. mobile phone companies but only one (AT&T) sells/uses the iPhone officially at this time.

3. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

A US iphone will only work properly with AT&T.

It will work somewhat with T-mobile, but your speeds will be slow and some features will not be available.

4. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I came to the states with my UK iphone would it automatically connect to AT&T?

5. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

With your UK mobile chip you should be able to roam in the U.S. Your mobile phone company can tell you how much that costs.

If you're thinking in terms of just getting an AT&T chip, AT&T does not make it easy to use an iPhone on prepaid service. (You would have ask others about that.) Additionally, your phone must be unlocked before you could use another company's chip, including AT&T's.

6. Lingham thread starter macrumors regular

No I mean because AT&T are the only ones who sell the iphone im guessing due to some of the functions etc would it automatically connect to AT&T or could I have an iphone in the states connected to a network who doesnt support the iphone directly from the states if that makes sense?

7. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

More than likely you would connect to AT&T with your UK card. However, you can check with your provider to confirm that.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It doesn't work like that.

Your iPhone doesn't care about exclusivity contracts.

It will connect to whichever network has the best signal AND allows the phone to join.

Your carrier will have agreements in place with different carriers around the world for roaming. All 5 of the UK's main carriers (Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile and 3) have roaming deals with both T-Mobile and AT&T in the US.

In the US, your phone will connect to AT&T or T-Mobile, depending on which of them has the strongest signal at the time. You can also manually choose one of the networks (although there's probably no reason to do that in most cases).