US ordered MacBook Pro for use in UK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfoTime, Nov 4, 2008.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

I've been tasked with ordering and setting up a MacBook Pro for a user in the UK. I'm in the US.

Is there any difference between MacBook Pros ordered from apple.com and apple.co.uk? From what I can tell the power requirements seem to be OK. I might be wrong. My guess is that I'd need a UK plug adapter. Ideally we'd like to have a "native" UK power supply if such a thing exists.

Thoughts?

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The US keyboard is far superior (bigger return/enter and shift keys). I hate the tiny enter button on my UK MBP. As for power adapter, you just need to buy a UK-type head. Simply slide off the US 2-prong adapter and put in the UK thing and it'll work.

4. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

5. unitethenations macrumors member

They'll show the same image, but when you order from the uk the default is a uk keyboard (pound sign not $, etc.).

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

It's FALSE advertising on the UK website.

7. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that pic FuzzMonkey.

Here's my comparison:

Only physical difference is the backslash / Enter keys. On the UK keyboard the backslash key is moved down and the Enter key is made taller rather than wide.

The tilde key (before the one) has a +/- and a symbol I don't recognize. The 2 has the @ sign and an additional Euro (?) symbol. The 3 has the British pound symbol instead of the US pound symbol #.

the only other difference I can see is that symbols instead of words are used for things like Shift, Enter, Tab, etc.

Does that about cover it?

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Nope. The shift keys are different. They are wider on the U.S. layout. I'd go for a US layout over a UK one anytime given the opportunity.

9. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

Just the left shift key is different, then right? It has the tilde next to it which makes it shorter.

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Yeah. Go for the U.S. version! :)