US power adapter plug

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hibbers, May 14, 2009.

1. hibbers macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm moving to the US soon so I'm looking to get a US adapter for my Macbook power adapter. Apple sell this world adapter kit for £28 but I only need the US one and it doesn't look like they sell them individually. On ebay I can get the US one for around £2 (many different sellers are similar prices) but obviously they're not legitimate Apple. What's the difference? Is the ebay version going to fry my macbook or set my apartment on fire? I'm not too brand-conscious when it comes to plugs, so is it worth paying 14x the price for the apple kit?

thanks in advance!
    kate

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Absolutely not. The World traveler kit is quite possibly one of the most overpriced items relative to its general utility and suitable alternatives that they sell, which is saying quite a bit.

For an alternative to buying a plug on eBay, read my post here about using a standard C7 power cord with your adapter. Pretty much anything you buy off of eBay is going to work, though.

3. hibbers thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast replies.. Miles that's a super helpful post, I never noticed that it's the standard connector as I've never taken the plug off since I got it!
    cheers.
    kate