US powerbook overseas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eyeon, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. eyeon macrumors regular

    Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA

    I have just moved to Edinburgh, Scotland (a beautiful city!) to work abroad for 6 months or so... I have a powermac at home (in the States) that I thought would be unreasonable to bring with me overseas, and have been planning to get a powerbook when I got here. I had been holding off on ordering one until the Paris Expo in case a new revision was announced, but seeing as the chances of that are quite slim, I am considering just getting one. I do, however, have a few concerns.

    I do want a US model, with the US keyboard layout and everything. I also assume that they can take a 220v power line, correct? So I would only need a plug adapter? Also, will it cost an arm and a leg to send the powerbook here, if I order a US model? Not expactly sure how this works... any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. Applespider macrumors G4


    Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's easier if you order it and bring it with you. Since you have a US address, it should be reasonably easy to order to be sent there and then ask friend/family to bring it over or mail it. Trouble with mailing is that you do run the risk of hitting customs/excise although you should be able to claim it back since you're not a permanent resident.

    In terms of what you'll need to use it over here, just a UK plug adaptor. If you have friends with an old iPod power adaptor, you can pull off the old plug part and stick it on your new Powerbook adaptor.
  3. dcv macrumors G3

    May 24, 2005
    As Applespider said you'll just need a 3-pin plug adaptor.

    I strongly recommend that you buy your PB in the States and don't pay extra for our silly UK prices!
  4. Euan macrumors regular

    Sep 1, 2005
    Agreed - particularly given you're only here for a short time.

Share This Page