US pre paid plan for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sigurd18, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Sigurd18 macrumors newbie

Dear all,

My son got my old iPhone 3G (a European, unlocked version). Now we wonder whether it is possible to buy a pre paid plan with a sim card from a US carrier so that he can make calls (but only use data through Wifi). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Sigurd

2. mactancoc macrumors newbie

You sure can. I got mine,a prepaid plan with a sim card from InTouch SmartCards a few months ago. For data use through wifi, you can download iSip from them as well. Happy new year!

3. snowman1 macrumors regular

Yup! You definitely can. GoPhone from ATT works (just go to any ATT store, ask for a GoPhone account and then ask for a microsim instead of a regular sim). Prepaid from t-mobile should also work (since the iPhone is unlocked) though you can only use the EDGE network of t-mobile (shouldn't matter that much, however, because your son will only use wifi for data). The only thing with t-mobile is that you might have to physically cut your sim card (since they don't provide micro sims as far as i know).

4. Sigurd18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. The phone is an old model, 3G, so no need for a microsim however. What worried me was that a person working at a Radioshack store suggested that it wouldn't work. But if someone already has tried it succesfully, that sounds good.

Thanks
    Sigurd

5. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

The person at RS was probably trying to scare you with his suggestions and then get you to sign up for a voice plan so he could get his commission.