US prepaid iPhone 3g for an international student

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vukradic, Aug 8, 2008.

1. vukradic macrumors newbie

Hi there,

i am international student in the US and have been one for three years now. Since i do not have a social security number and can not go trough tthe credit check, i wonder what the procedure is for getting a 3g since i can't get a contract.

i allready have a first gen iPhone with a GoPhone account. is there any way to transfer that to the 3g?

thanks for the help

v

2. frosse macrumors 6502a

Just head over to nearest ATT and they should be able to help you out. :)

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

Hey-

I am also an international student... The thing is that iPhone 3G is only available with postpaid plan which means you have to have SSN or in your case, without SSN, you will have to put $500-$1000 deposit with AT&T which will be returned in 1 year. Even if you already use the GoPhone with the original iPhone (I did too), you still have to sign up for postpaid plan with the 3G.

Alternatively, you can ask your friend to open the account for you. I've been opening quite a number of new accounts for new students that's coming in. This is great because when you finally got your ssn, you can transfer it to your name and voila :)

Also, you've been here for 3 years and yet you do not have SSN?? what gives? Just work around 1-2 weeks (while your SSN is being processed)in your school bookstore or dining hall and then quit if you don't like it. That'll give you your SSN ;)