US Refurb rMBP 2012 vs EU Haswell rMBP 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astorian, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Astorian macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Been reading these forums for years, and finally here's my first post! I know there's literally hundreds of threads like this, but as most people seem to like discussing these kind of dilemma's, here we go:

So I live in Europe, my girlfriend lives in the US, but she's moving over here at the end of this month (July). Since my Early 2008 MacBook is reaching the end of its life, I am looking to buy a new one. I have been waiting for the Haswell update for a while now, but since my girlfriend is moving for good, I have to make a decision now as I will not be going to the US any time soon anymore. As I'm sure most people on these forums are aware, Apple products are significantly more expensive in Europe than in the US (about 30%).

I have decided to go for the 15" rMBP. It is probably overkill for most of what I do, but I would really like to get into photo and video editing a bit more. Also, as I am planning on using the rMBP at least as long as my current Mac (> 5 years), I want it to have 16 GB RAM and a good processor to be more or less "future-proof" (even though that's a relative term in tech).

I have my eye on this refurb 15 rMBP, which would set me back about €1700: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G...-26ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display
    If I would wait for Haswell, a model with similar specs (16GB/512GB) would cost about €2799, assuming prices stay the same and assuming that I'd have to buy it in Europe.

Hence my questions:

1). Is there any reason for me to wait for the Haswell update that warrants the additional €1100 over the mid 2012 model?

2). Secondly, I would like to hear from current rMBP mid 2012 owners whether they would buy theirs again if they would be in my situation. I've heard about image retention problems etc, but is it really that common?

Thanks in advance!

2. Memole macrumors member

if i where in your shoes i would go for a refurb :)

Simple as its cheaper, and for your needs you wont have much gain with Haswell as Haswell is more about ULV CPU than for Mobile Quad Core CPU

and i am sure that rMBP current gen can last easy 5 years :)

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I'd say go with the 2012 refurb. You said it is overkill for what you do, so there's really no point in waiting for the refresh.

Reasons why the refurb wins: You will save a ton of money. You don't have to wait a few months for the refresh. You will get a laptop that more than meets your needs.

4. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Refurb. The only problem is the lack of that model refurb on the site in a long time. IF it has been there, it's gone pretty quickly. I'm not sure you will be able to buy that model in the little time allotted - end of this month (July).

5. applepie555 macrumors regular

You can try refurb.me
    That way you can get alerted when it goes back in stock

6. Astorian thread starter macrumors newbie

Great stuff. Thanks a lot!

7. vandoorn macrumors regular

I would definitely buy the refurb. I've just bought the 2012 model and i have to say it is an amazing machine. You won't be disappointed. I have the 2012 version with the LG screen and no problems with ghosting at all. In my opinion the extra $1100 dollars is not worth the Hashwell update.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I agree with everyone else, refurbished is the way to go, don't wait too long as refurbished are limited quantities!!

9. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

refurb is the way... I did the same with my 13 retina.... saved 600 euros!