Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
Then I'll wear a sophisticated robot costume (see below) and fool them into thinking I'm one of them.

I'm planning to go to this Robot exhibit this summer, and I promise to ask the robots what their intentions are, and report back to you.

I feel better now that we have our beat inside man checking in on this situation, Incognito should be the way to go.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
That's why we hardwire Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics into every android. ;) "A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm." We should be safe as long as the robots don't overheat, All reet! All reet! So jeet your seat, Be fleet be fleet, Cool and discreet. *Looks about and hides the shovel I mysteriously picked up.* :p

P.S. Alfred Bester's short story "Fondly Fahrenheit" is a good read.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Maedus said:
That's why we hardwire Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics into every android. ;) "A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."
Because we all know that worked out so well. :p

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Abstract said:
Lets just hope that the eventual Attack of the Clones isn't as boring as it was in George Lucas' head. :p

Nap of the Drones, more like...

MyLeftNut

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Until computers get beyond serial processing and on to parallel processing like us humans (which will be quite a while) we wont have to worry much. It would have to be a major order of magnitude before we get to the Terminator stage me thinks...me thinks...me thinks...*clunk*. Ahem. Yeah. ;)

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
edesignuk said:
Am I the only one that is getting a little worried by these types of developments? Robots that can run and climb stairs, play football, now robots that can reproduce themselves (all be it on a small scale, for the moment :eek:). Maybe I've just been watching too many films...:eek:

I'm worried too! If Chelsea can beat Man Utd so easily, what will a team of uber-bots from the future be capable of!

andy.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
we don't have anything to worry about until they become programmed to say, "I did not MURDER HIM!!"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm not worried. Once they get that whole "urge to reproduce" thing programmed into them, they'll have no time for overthrowing us. They'll spend their time drinking too much "juice", wondering if they should try to communicate with that shiny 'bot in the corner, post on websites about how they're unable to effectively interface with any others, be concerned about viruses, complain about premature communication session termination, etc.

It's the robots that don't have the urge to reproduce that I worry about.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Peyote said:
we don't have anything to worry about until they become programmed to say, "I did not MURDER HIM!!"
Uh-oh. I selected the quote above, hit control-shift-S, and my Mac said it.

Good thing it can't go more than three feet from a power outlet.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
edesignuk said:
Am I the only one that is getting a little worried by these types of developments? Robots that can run and climb stairs, play football, now robots that can reproduce themselves (all be it on a small scale, for the moment :eek:). Maybe I've just been watching too many films...:eek:

hah you're not the only one. people are too lazy. we dont need robots really, maybe for the dangerous jobs and for mr.Bush to fight wars with.

so because of peoples lazyness we will all be doomed! even the non-lazy ones! :eek:

evilinsanity

macrumors member
May 3, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
Anyone who watches Stargate SG1 knows this is a bad thing! :eek: :p

Yeah, we all know what happened with the Replicators. It's all Reese's fault.

Oh and Nuc, where'd ya get the stargate widget? I'd love to have it!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Chaszmyr said:
Anyone who watches Stargate SG1 knows this is a bad thing! :eek: :p

Haha, good times. Replicators for everyone!
A little OT, but how cool would it be to have a sarcophagus? You know you want one....uh huh, perhaps two :rolleyes:

I think it is years off before robots start to have enough power to actually become dangerous, and at that point we will have other robots in place to protect us against the unstable (M$ operated) worker robots who are more than likely to revolt. If get nervous about our protectors, we will make an elite group of supreme-protectors whose purpose is to protect us against protector attack....and so on.

If nothing else, at least in the early years all of this robot production should provide some jobs, until the robots produce the robots that is :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
More Robot news:

link
Robots have mastered picking and placing, welding, and similar tasks that can be precalibrated, but they cannot perform tasks that requite a sense of touch, such as "feeling" when a bolt's threads mesh before screwing it in. Even the most accurate robots today will strip the threads on bolts and otherwise damage items that require a sensitive tactile sense.

Electrical engineers at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) say they are on the way to solving this problem. The team has created a prototype robot "skin" from a flexible polymer with multiple sensors that simultaneously assess shape, force, hardness, motion, temperature and thermal conductivity.
That's how we detect materials and shapes so well, with a variety of "sensors" in our fingers. We might as well teach Aibo the same skill.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Doctor Q said:
More Robot news:

link

That's how we detect materials and shapes so well, with a variety of "sensors" in our fingers. We might as well teach Aibo the same skill.

Old thread I know, but someone linked to it in another.

But... :eek:

Skin on robots? What next?! Sexual Organs?! :D

I wonder if scientists will make this even more controversial and make all the robots white or perhaps grey so they can be called "the greys."

Then we'll have Robot Rights then one day one wont be able to distinguish between robot and human and lawyers wanting to make a few bucks will come out with the determinist theory, that every action man takes is predetermined by another so that Humans themselves aren't free, thus making them equal to robots who also learnt from experience. Then humans and robots will be of equal rights and some techno-rejector hobo junkie will have to come and save the world with a toothpick.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Crikey said:
I read the other day that the U.S. Army is 42% below its recruitment quotas for the year and for the first time ever the Marines are below quota too. I wonder if any of the recently-approved war money ($82 billion, was it?) will be going toward mechanical G.I. Joes.

Crikey

A.I. Joes perhaps?
:p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Don't worry, we should be okay until SkyNet starts manufacturing Daleks and the Cylons start building the Matrix. :cool:
Sorry, I was just dying to resurrect an exteremely old thread with my clever witty remark.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
edesignuk said:
It all reminds me of a line in Jurassic Park actually...

That gives me an idea!! We'll clone dinosaurs and use them to fight the robot uprising! It'll be a battle of science experiments gone horribly wrong. :D

hahaha I reminded myself of one of my favorite simpsons exchanges:

Skinner: "Well, I was wrong; the lizards are a godsend."
Lisa: "But isn't that a bit shortsited? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?"
Skinner: "No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards."
Lisa: "But aren't the snakes even worse?"
Skinner: "Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat."
Lisa: "But then we're stuck with gorillas!"
Skinner: "No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death."

(ok, so i admit it, writing the brief is making me clinically insane)

edit: whoa, this is an old thread... didn't realize!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.