US vs. Mexico futbol Wednesday

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 00PS, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 00PS macrumors member

I am SO anxious for this game. The game last year in Phoenix was great, but the Americans didn't exactly dominate, but they also put them away when they had to.

hightlights=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=325728112193404281&q=US+vs.+Mexico+highlights+2007&total=25&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Seeing a full strength US team will be great. btw, Michael Bradley is the midfielder of the future for the US, mark it down. (12 goals this season for Heerenven)

what are your thoughts? any thoughts on ENG vs. Swiss? I won't see it, but I was disappointed when Becks was left out..

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

QFT - though Feilhaber is no slouch. Sad that he hasn't replicated his international form at Derby.

I'm saying two-nil, US. Maybe two-one.

3. 00PS thread starter macrumors member

Feilhaber is definitely a quality player, and is worthy of a starting job. I also like Sacha Kljestan from Chivas USA he gels well with Benny. To be honest the future is bright for the all the newcomers (Bornstein, Feilhaber, Bradley, Klejestan and let's not forget Adu and Altidore)

score: 2-1 US

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I had the chance to see the US/Mexico game in Columbus in 2005. The winner of that game earned a birth into the World Cup at the time. It was an AMAZING experience- my best sports experience yet, which includes an NCAA Final Four and World Series game, among a couple of other highlights.

I'm not worried about the US midfield. We have a number of serviceable players there. I've been waiting...and waiting...and waiting...for someone who can put the ball in the net from up top. Twellman isn't that guy...neither is Ching...neither is Johnson. Donovan isn't at his best with is back to the goal. Dempsey and Beasley aren't either. We need a striker if we're going to consistently beat any world powers other than Mexico.

5. 00PS thread starter macrumors member

of those you mentioned dempsey seems pretty consistent to me, but if altidore lives up to the hype (even adu, but it's almost too late) we could have america's first world class striker.

6. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Im going for Mexico because my mom and dad are from there

7. tefleming macrumors 6502

I was there for that game ... wow. Starting with the pre-match tailgating (nothing like shotgunning for your country) all the way to some Mexican fans, after the match, telling us what would happen when we come to the Azteca.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I still like Dempsey in the midfield. I don't even want to mention Jozy. I'm afraid I'll jinx him. :)

My friends and I drove from St. Louis for the game and were tailgating for a few hours before the game. It was quite the atmosphere. The Mexican fans around where we sat were very respectful after the game, knowing we got the best of them...but they were awfully confident beforehand. Celebrating down in the arena district afterwards was a lot of fun, too!

9. tefleming macrumors 6502

We drove from Charlotte (like 7 hours) and stayed with a friend's sister (and yes, we still give him s**t about it) who went to Dennison.

It was a lot of fun.

My only other "cap" in Sam's Army was the USA-Jamaica friendly in Cary, meh, not even close.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The Englandshire team will win an unspectacular match, and the press will instantly install them as odds on favourites to win Euro 2008. Anyone who points out that England haven't actually qualified for the tournament will be labelled as unpatriotic. ;)

11. tefleming macrumors 6502

Get back up.

What the hell happened on Dempsey's goal???

So happy for Altidore :-D

12. 00PS thread starter macrumors member

2-1 Half

Mexico took control early, but US has put away their chances. Ref BOTCHED a huge offside call that took away a goal from Clint Dempsey. Should be 3-1. US is very rusty needs to improve

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Just saw the replay, Dempsey was actually offside when the ball was first played. The call was late, but correct.

14. 00PS thread starter macrumors member

yea just saw that. correct call very late. your thoughts on the game?

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

As always with US teams, tactically naive in defense, but pretty decent going forward.

16. tefleming macrumors 6502

This game more than others, we completely lacked fullbacks. Moor set one goal up but was at fault for both Mexican equalizers.

Looked pretty good. Long way to go to SA.

17. 00PS thread starter macrumors member

I agree. I thought he would be one of the ones to come out. I was surprised Coach Bradley took out Michael, I thought him and Benny gel well together. Overall not the ideal friendly, and I think thats how the US side treated it.