US vs UK pricing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Draeconis, May 14, 2008.

1. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Why is it that in America, the base MacBook Pro is $1,999 (£1,030.05), but over here it's £1,299 ($2,521.34).

Why are we paying £270 ($520) more for exactly the same product? It's not all VAT because a MacBook Pro over here minus VAT is still over £1,100 ($2,136.38)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The subject has been done to death. They don't account for currency fluctuation, they'll argue varying costs of doing business etc. We pay mroe for everything, it just is what it is, and there's not a lot more that can be said or done about it.

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Draeconis, if you have any friends in America or are gonna be visiting soon, just do what I did and buy your Mac from over there. Don't forget though that you have to add Sales Tax in the US so it might not be as cheap as you think. As well as currency exchange commission / spread / fee charged by your card company. My VISA card used an exchange rate of 1.90 the other day.

Although I have to admit I did buy when the currency rate was much more favourable to us Brits than it is now. Just make sure you throw away (or post later on) the packaging and you should get through Customs okay!

4. Draeconis thread starter macrumors 6502a

@ edesignuk, fair enough, I'm just pretty new to all this; I'm getting a MBP soon and just wondered about the discrepancy in prices, that's all.

@ Neutral Gamer, No and No unfortunately, I do have a large proportion of my extended family who live in Texas, but I've never met them!