US Wii in the UK, will it work?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by evoluzione, Feb 17, 2008.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    so my 60+ year old Mother wants to buy a Wii in England, but as far as I'm aware they're really expensive compared to here in the States....so, if I bought her a US Wii, would it work ok in England? I don't even know if the games are region coded like DVDs or if it would even work on her TV.

thanks!

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You wouldn't be able to play UK games- there is a region lock. Plus you'd need a 220/110 converter for power, and I have no idea what kind of troubles you'd have hooking it up to the TV.

On top of that, good luck finding a US Wii. They're sold out *most* places over here.

3. rumbletum macrumors regular

A US Wii should work fine on UK TVs (unless the TV is really old), as for the power supply issue, you can either buy a UK power adaptor or just use a stepdown converter.

As stated above you'll have to buy US editions of games, but in someways this is a benefit as they're generally cheaper and available earlier in the US.

I had a US Gamecube, and would have done the same with the Wii but I couldn't get hold of one as easily as a UK machine.