US Wiimotes working on EU consoles?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Archanor, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Archanor macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if there's any way to get US Wiimotes to work on an EU Wii console. Also, I was thinking of chipping my Wii that allows me to play US games on it aswell, and was wondering if that would mess with my capabilities of updating the console and just generally screwing up the online features.

(I made this thread mainly for the first question.)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

US Wii controllers will work on EU systems. As for chipping, it's possible for new updates to brick the Wii. Howweeevver there's a Homebrew Channel for the Wii (installed via the Twilight Hack) which has a region free game launcher.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Or you can get the Wii Freeloader! Less effort all around, and its worked fairly well so far. :p

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-10v-77-1-49-en-15-wii+freeloader-70-2m94.html

I'm really not sure why Nintendo put region protection on their system, Sony didn't, I believe the Xbox is region free though im not 100% sure since I've never owned one. The DS and PSP are region free, I really don't see the reason or benefits for Nintendo to stick to such archaic methods to keep people from playing games from other regions.. Since its Nintendo, maybe its to "protect" us, kinda like having 47548327675398627 digit codes in multiples just to play a game and add friends...

4. Archanor thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried several times to make it work on my console, it only blinks a bunch of times when I press synchronize. Same thing happens when I press 1 or 2 on the remote.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Or why it took 9 months to get the PSP out in EU or how the PS3 didn't come with rumble, or how RRoD became "reasonable". They're all guilty of possessing little common sense this time round ;)

As for the controller - that's a mystery. My 2nd Wii controller is a US import (they're the ones in the plastic sealed packaging right?) which works the same as the one bundled with the Wii. You are pressing the Wii sync first? That's all I can think of.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It no longer works! recent firmware update destroyed its support.

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

OH RLY?? That just bugs me, Nintendo needs to just open up the system to any regions games.. & let me guess the patch was one needed to play one of the new hit games like SSBB or SMK right? Freaking idiots..

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yep, you got it...

Nintendo's attitude to region locks on the Wii is the biggest bugbear I have of the system. It plain sucks.. Thank god Sony saw sense this generation, and m$ somewhat.