Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
This completely smacks of something that will turn out to be a false rumor. Vegemite is still on the shelves in American supermarkets, and the only reporting on this has been done in the Australian press. It probably had to do with people's vegemite jars being confiscated going through customs; which has more to do with food importation without inspection than a ban. An analagous case: you can buy Italian sausage at the grocery store, but you can't bring a hunk of sausage through customs yourself (unless vacuum-sealed). Would you call that a ban on sausage? I wouldn't.

Dave

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:
The day America bans sausage is the day 325,000,000 people burst into tears.

More than that:

300 million Americans (they passed the 300M mark this week)
21 million Australians
4 million New Zealanders

And then you've got all the Europeans to consider....

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Chundles said:
More than that:

300 million Americans (they passed the 300M mark this week)
21 million Australians
4 million New Zealanders

And then you've got all the Europeans to consider....

Tsk, tsk, you forgot the 32 million Canadians.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Ugg said:
Tsk, tsk, you forgot the 32 million Canadians.

What? Canadians don't eat sausage.

They eat Cariboo and live in igloos - pretty hard to have a BBQ in an igloo.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
That is absolutely ridiculous! Every day I hear this sort of crap I get more and more pleased that I moved out of the USA and into the UK. ;)

Besides, it's all about the Marmite... :D

Attachments

• MarmiteIsYourFriend.jpg
    MarmiteIsYourFriend.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 245

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
skunk said:
Yeah. Vegemite's crap.

<ducks>

<Swings at skunk's head, notices him ducking, alters swing and punches straight down on top of Skunk's head knocking him out.>

<Then gives him a Vegemite Dirty Sanchez.>

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Chundles said:
What? Canadians don't eat sausage.

They eat Cariboo and live in igloos - pretty hard to have a BBQ in an igloo.

Mmmmm, Caribou sausage, very, very tasty. A nice fire in an igloo just seals the snow blocks that much better by creating a glaze of ice on the interior, eh!

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Chundles said:
<Swings at skunk's head, notices him ducking, alters swing and punches straight down on top of Skunk's head knocking him out.>

<Then gives him a Vegemite Dirty Sanchez.>
<Skunk switches off holographic projector and laughs as seen in Total Recall. Chundles applies Vegemite poultice to grazed knuckles>

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I can't stand the stuff, but it's probably more the texture. We had some Australian distant cousins stay with us when I was younger, and they ate this stuff on their toast. One of them tried to gross me out with it by spreading it all over everything, really thick. I had to leave the room, but he had to eat it. But it would be stupid if they tried to ban it.

I'd like to think there was some perfectly valid reason, and/or that this is just some sort of misunderstanding, but nowadays, I don't know.

cassio598

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2006
Seriously guys, you need to hang out with chemists more. Take a MULTI-vitamin with a huge glass of water before you hit the sack/passout or after you get up. The hangover's dehydration plus a huge lack of all your vitamins, not just the B's.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Chundles said:
And surprisingly good at keeping away the Drop Bears.

No wonder I was attacked by the pesky drop bears when I lived in Australia. Vegemite could possibly be the worst tasting substance meant for human consumption on the face of the earth. Needless to say I never ate it (after the first time), thus the frequent attacks by drop bears.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
welshandrew said:
My gut instinct tells me otherwise, but...

What's a 'Vegemite Dirty Sanchez'?

It's a hilarious joke which I will use in conversation at a bar this weekend. Thanks Chundles!

(Oh yeah, andrew...try looking up dirty sanchez on urban dictionary. It's kinda NSFW.)

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Man, I dunno what people complain about when they have vegemite...I must be immune to the stuff or something because when I eat it, it's thick..like thicker than the bread.

Keeps me sane when travelling too.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
skunk said:
Yeah. Vegemite's crap.
The one time I tasted it, I really didn't like it at all. Probably part of the problem was that I had an Aussie girlfriend at the time who just raved and raved about it, and I was expecting to taste something pleasant, when instead it gave me that feeling like you get when you get the coffee from the bottom of the pot and get some grains... ugh. But, whatever floats your boat. The fact that some people eat Hagas proves that there is a taste for just about anything.

Dave

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Does anyone else think it's funny and interesting that this food took off in one part of the world and is rejected everywhere else? I wonder how a taste develops so locally like that. And we're not taking about some kind of exotic dish here; it's just yeast extract. I mean, the food preferences here in the U.S. and in Australia overlap in a lot of ways. (I hear there are a lot of KFCs there.) But for this one food we're polar opposites. Am I the only one that finds that fascinating?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Speaking of Vegemite and/or Marmite - what sorts of prices do you folks see at shops around the US?

Personally, I'm a Marmite fellow myself and tend to pick it up for $4.99 for a tiny jar. Am I getting ripped off, or is this a consistent import price?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.