iPhone X USA carriers

gngan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
i am looking for a cheap prepaid or monthly plan with one of the big four but none seem to offer what I’m looking at or just rather very expensive.

Just need a USA number that has the following:
  • No/little data
  • an hour call per month
  • 30 text per month
  • Able to receive call/text when I’m oversea
Saw a $3 plan from t-mobile but don’t think it can receive call/text from oversea.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Check ting.com
Haven’t tried them, but looks like your can get what you want for $12 a month,

gngan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Check ting.com
Haven’t tried them, but looks like your can get what you want for $12 a month,
Thanks.

This is exactly what I need. They don't accept PayPal or oversea credit card (only US credit card) which limits their customer.

I wonder what 'older' American uses. I don't believe they need that many data, unlimited text or call. There must be something that caters this group of audiences.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thanks.

This is exactly what I need. They don't accept PayPal or oversea credit card (only US credit card) which limits their customer.

I wonder what 'older' American uses. I don't believe they need that many data, unlimited text or call. There must be something that caters this group of audiences.
This ‘older’ American has the above unlimited data plan.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
i am looking for a cheap prepaid or monthly plan with one of the big four but none seem to offer what I’m looking at or just rather very expensive.

• No/little data
  • an hour call per month
  • 30 text per month
Saw a $3 plan from t-mobile but don’t think it can receive call/text from oversea.
USMobile has $10/mo. plans with no data and unlimited call/text. You can customize plans as well.

https://www.usmobile.com/plans

If you decide to go this route, please send a private message for a referral code.

Would be hard to beat this:
6DBE8658-A6CF-47A0-A8D8-C6C6DF86388D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: timeconsumer

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Consumer Cellular targets the grey hair generation. Uses AT&T and T-Mobile networks. Best support in the industry.

https://www.consumercellular.com

$19 a month for 1 line unlimited text, 250 MB of data, 250 minutes of talk. $14.25 with no data. Join AARP and get a 5% discount. Taxes and fees not included.

Not sure about overseas.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As it doesn't sound like you need always available calls and texting. Why don't you and your friends/family just setup Skype accounts? Then you can call, text and video over WiFi for free. As long as it is between Skype users. Other services like Snapchat offer similar features.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011

• No/little data
  • an hour call per month
  • 30 text per month
R u planning to use it to communicate with other iPhone users? If so, can't use use FaceTime Audio & iMessage over wifi?

gngan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Here's the background.

I am oversea 99% of the time however; I need a US number for US stuff. So paying $50 a month for unlimited data,text,call doesn't make sense.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Here's the background.

I am oversea 99% of the time however; I need a US number for US stuff. So paying $50 a month for unlimited data,text,call doesn't make sense.
Oh. What do you use that number for? If it’s only to receive calls from the US, then you can just get a Skype number, and use your local SIM and data. It’s probably cheaper as well.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Oh. What do you use that number for? If it’s only to receive calls from the US, then you can just get a Skype number, and use your local SIM and data. It’s probably cheaper as well.
Can Skype receive text message (SMS)?
Can Skype provide a US phone number?

minimo3

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Get a google voice US number and install the app on your phone. It costs nothing. You will be able to send and receive texts. Calls will be forwarded to your overseas number if u use an iPhone, I think if you have android the calls use data (not too sure about this).

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Get a google voice US number and install the app on your phone. It costs nothing. You will be able to send and receive texts. Calls will be forwarded to your overseas number if u use an iPhone, I think if you have android the calls use data (not too sure about this).
Google Voice still needs a US phone number to forward calls to.
[doublepost=1561909873][/doublepost]
Thabks.
OTP and US bank are two reasons why I need a US number.
You can have both Google Voice number (as your main number) and a US Skype number (for Google Voice to forward calls to).
So far, Google Voice works with many SMS 2FA, like the ones from Google itself and Microsoft. However, there are banks that don’t accept Google Voice number for OTP. On the bright side, some banks can use email to send authentication requests to. So check your bank first to see what they support.