USA Customs Investigate Fake Invoices

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PaulChowHK, Sep 3, 2012.

1. PaulChowHK macrumors regular

My friend telling me someone from USA customs asking questions about orders he shiping to USA that invoice oNly 25 percents moneys company paying him. This happening all the times For many year I do not thinking so important but he telling me that companies save lots of money because custom tax having be paid right away not like profit tax which can be delaying for very longs time. This could being problem for owner and people's in thats company who knowing company doing this. How mic,h penalty this could be?

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

3. PaulChowHK thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry my English. USA company pay $50,000 to China factory but telling USA customs they buy for $10,000. It very hard to hiding this because they wiring money to Hong Kong bank so US custom can checking bank and shipping invoice. I am sure not so big problem USA company may having to pay all duty for all years they doing it

4. Legios macrumors regular

I dont think Custom cares about invoices as much as the the stated value of a shipment isnt over or undervalued. I would think the IRS is the agency you should worry about but I cant be sure exactly what you are asking.

5. 808? macrumors 6502a

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. PaulChowHK thread starter macrumors regular

If customer paying China factory $80,000 for manufacturing but paying duty on $20,000 is this problem?

8. PaulChowHK thread starter macrumors regular

Today my friend tells me this could be dangerous because custom and his staff knowing this is illegal. Is this true in USA? I thinking customer only paying small money then all is OK again. If illegal and big problem I no understand why they taking this chance.

9. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Best advice is to contact a lawyer in HK and the US that specializes in this area of customs (tariffs and the sort). You aren't really going to get the help you need as no one here is familiar with this area.

10. PaulChowHK thread starter macrumors regular

This no problem for me friend. USA customer using his name on invoice to USA he paying factory invoice for 80,000 then making his invoice for smaller moneys to send to USA.

11. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yes, it is illegal to falsify the item's value on customs declaration forms.

Why are they taking this risk? Ask them, I guess. The most likely answer is to evade taxation.

香港人?

12. PaulChowHK thread starter macrumors regular

Do they having pay fine then all OK?

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

It should just be a fine on top of what they owe customs (the tax based on the actual value of the products that have already been imported). Tax evasion can lead to jail time, but this isn't really the same thing is it?

You really ought to contact a lawyer or someone like that about this.

//not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, etc etc

14. PaulChowHK thread starter macrumors regular

This over many years so could being over 1,000,000 USD products if they checking all invoices. I hope this foreigner not so big problem

15. burgerkong macrumors newbie

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Clueless of what you are talking about. Go back to local forums.

17. Digidesign, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

Digidesign macrumors 6502

What company are you writing on behalf of?

18. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Payment of import duties is the responsibility of the importer, and it is the responsibility of the importer to ensure that information reported on declaration forms is accurate. Practically speaking, the exporter is outside U.S. Customs' jurisdiction.

Penalties for falsifying information on a duty form can range anywhere between fines to jail time.