USA iPad 3G in Canada?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cole JM, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Cole JM macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2011
    I'm Going to Canada for a few days and I wanted to know if verizon will charge me extra for using 3G there.
  2. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2010
    Yes, it's called roaming
  3. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2008
    Washington DC
    I'm not sure your Verizon iPad will work up in Canada

All the networks there (as far as I know) are GSM. Verizon's network won't allow data transmission. They have great partners for voice, but not for data.
  4. number84 macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2011
    If I'm not mistaken, Verizon uses CDMA which we have 2 carriers in Canada (Telus and Bell) that use that as well (along with HSPA or whatever they are calling it). So I would think it would roam just fine...although I'm sure the roaming charges are crazy. Just call up Verizon and ask them if they have data roaming in Canada.
  5. poloponies Suspended

May 3, 2010
  6. Vizin, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2008
    Washington DC

When I was in Montreal the last time (about a year ago with my AT&T iPhone), the only way I could get a data connection was to change the network to Telus (but that was by eliminating 3G and choosing 2G). As it was plenty fast, it clearly wasn't Edge but I never figured out what exactly went on. I know my sister and her family who live in Vancouver all have SIM cards on their iPhones (which Verizon phones don't have) but I guess Verizon now has agreements with Telus and Bell. It looks like coverage is good if you're going to Vancouver and less good and still as costly in Eastern Canada (Montreal, Toronto) and absent in the rest except near the border. I read on the Apple Discussion Boards that if you're in Toronto, you may be able to get on a Verizon network because it's close enough to the border (?) - not that close. Data costs do seem high but for the occasional time you can't find an Internet Cafe etc, it's probably worth it.
  8. silverblack macrumors 68030

Nov 27, 2007
    I would be VERY cautious about using data roaming! Google around for x hundred dollar phone bill when owner forgot to turn off data roaming on their iPhone (which fetched emails without you even knowing...). It is very unwise to use your iPad/iPhone with roaming data, unless you really know what you are doing.