USA iPhone 3G O2 UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lunaxp, Aug 12, 2008.

1. lunaxp macrumors newbie

If i purchased an iphone from the usa, and wanted to use it in the uk how could i get it to work with o2?

If i updated the frimware in the uk would that make it work with o2?

Is there unlock software coming out for the 3g anytime soon?

If there anywhere i can get a new UK iphone 3g 16gb black without contract and not from ebay?

Thanks.

2. Rigsby macrumors regular

I'd give it 20 minutes then bump the thread again.

[Moderator note: bumping is against forum rules and will cause the thread to be closed.]

But to give you a short answer - you'd need to unlock the iPhone, and the unlock hasn't been released yet.

If you want a UK iPhone you'll have to go to O2, CPW or the Apple Store. If you are really desperate and want to avoid eBay then you could try a cheap flight to Italy or Switzerland where you can get unlocked PAYG phones.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

4. lunaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Rigsby macrumors regular

If you can't afford the contract can you realistically afford the premium of buying an imported phone from elsewhere? Yes, you can get a cheap PAYG plan, but over the course of 18 months would the saving equate to the extra cost?

One analysis elsewhere on the forum had the saving - for an equivalent service (minutes, texts and data) of around £15 per month. That's only £270.

Sorry if I seem a bit terse, but there are a lot of people posting complaints about a lack of PAYG in some countries as if they are somehow owed a phone by Apple.

6. lunaxp thread starter macrumors newbie

only 270???!!!?!?!!!! You obviously have the money to burn! im just gona wait for PAYG for christmas time.

7. Rigsby macrumors regular

The point I'm making is that importing a PAYG phone will likely have a premium. Either your travel costs, or profit for the 'importer', which is likely to be around the same or more than the extra cost of a contract over 18 months.

Apple and the telecom companies are not going to make the same mistake of letting cheap handsets onto the Market without covering their costs again.