usa iphone in canada

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by whiskey, Sep 14, 2010.

1. whiskey macrumors member

Hey guys,

A friend just purchased an iphone from the apple store. He bought it full price, not subsidized through at&t.

I'm looking to unlock the phone for him, but I'm a bit worried that I can't since it might need an at&t sim card + SSN + Zip Code?

In Canada, if you buy an iphone without subsidizing, the phone is fully unlocked, is that the same with a usa iphone?

I won't be able to unlock the phone for him until later on but just wanted to clarify if it is possible or not. I've been reading that people hope to hackivate it when a 4.1 jailbreak is out? or something about using a phonebook sim card?

Hopefully someone has a similar experience and can help out.

Thanks

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Every phone purchased in USA is locked to AT&T regardless of price
    In Canada you can buy a factory unlocked phone.

Hint: If you want unlocked, buy it in Canada if that's an option.

3. whiskey thread starter macrumors member

So does that mean there is no way for me to unlock his phone so he can use it here then?

4. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

There is an unlock for firmware 4.0.1 and below, but it's always easiest to buy a factory unlocked phone. I mean if you have that option, why buy a locked phone then unlock it.

Also unlocking through a jailbreak method drains your battery as I heard from other threads.

Just buy it unlocked straight and save time and hassle. If you already bought it, if it has 4.0.1 try and unlock it and see what happens. I think if you can access safari and jailbreak, then you can definitely unlock it.

Thanks
    AE

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

That's dependent on being able to activate it first, which requires an AT&T sim and the account holder's SSN, etc. And assuming it has 4.0.1, which is a BIG assumption as phones bought just three weeks ago had 4.0.2. Most now probably have 4.1.

OP--search on iPhone 4 activation without AT&T sim. There have been numerous threads on this over the last few weeks. General consensus seems to be that you need the sim and account holder's info to activate, but a few people have said otherwise, and you may find helpful info in those threads. There's no hacktivating this phone yet, and no idea if the next JB/unlock will allow for that.

6. whiskey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info so far guys. Is there a need for SSN if the phone was purchased in store without a contract? When the phone was purchased, no info was provided. he was able to just buy the phone in store, and there wasn't any activation process or etc.

I just want to make sure that I can activate the phone as I believe that once I get pass that, I can jb/unlock when it becomes available.