USA macbook air to uk lcd tv

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scotty89Uk, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Scotty89Uk macrumors newbie

Hey guys
    Does anyone know how to set up a lcd tv as an additional display for the macbook air. the macbook air is from USA and I think this is the problem. I have the dvi cable connection for the macbook and a dvi cable and when i plug it into the v it comes up power saving, also I have a dvi to hd tv cable and again I have the problem that it just shows blank. The macbook air does detect the additional display, and I have tried changing the res and hertz...still nothing. I am thinking its cause this a usa macbook and the tv is uk....would that make a problem? Anyone able to shed some light for me?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is the TV set to use the correct input?

North American SD televisions do use a different resolution than European (NTSC vs. PAL), but DVI is DVI.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look here:

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

And just because your computer is made for the US market and the TV might be made for the UK market, doesn't mean they are incompatible, as DVI (and all the other video transfer standards made for computers) is international.
    The only difference between the US and the UK is the broadcast system and the underlying current (60Hz vs 50Hz), but that does not affect your connection.

Are you sure you have used the right input on the TV and have changed to that channel?

What TV do you have and what adapter are you using and what inputs (DVI, VGA, HDMI, Composite, Component) does your TV have?

4. Scotty89Uk thread starter macrumors newbie

the tv is lg26lx2r
    it has dvi dvmi scart video composite s-video and i had changed to the proper input but nothing showed. I have got all the correct adapters and cables stated in that post.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So what kind of adapter are you using, you haven't stated that yet?

The MacBook Air has a microDVI out (or miniDisplayPort if you have a newer model), so what kind of adapter do you use for connecting your MBA to the HDTV, as a DVI to HDTV adapter is not really an existing one?

Also have you read the TV's manual, sometimes it offers some kind of troubleshooting and answers to frequently asked questions?

And what resolution is offered on the MBA for the external display, or does it only show an external display in the Arrangement tab?

Have you used your MB with a TV or any other external monitor before?

(Btw, using a TV as extended desktop might not be as good as you think, as HDTVs have a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 on a very big screen, which makes it hard to read the small letters from a computer output.)

6. Scotty89Uk thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm i am new to mac, so i am not too sure about the adapters...my pal got this mac in early 2008 and he gave me cables etc when he gave me this (y.day) I have used my lcd tv as a monitor for my pc....no problems there.

basically the adapter i ave is made for macbook air, it plugs in to the side and this gives it the dvi input, so i plug the dvi in there then plug the other dvi into the tv and switch tv to dvi input and it comes up power saving...I have tried EVERY SINGLE display res and hertz....and got nothing. i also have a dvi to hdmi cable (and yeh they do exsist in the link you gave me it says u can use them as well) Its so frustrating...!!!:mad: I have read the manual for that lg...it wasnt helpful in the slightest.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

HDMI is not the same as HDTV, and you used HDTV in your first post.

I'm going out on a limb here, but maybe you can try to repair permissions via Disk Utility.

Can you explain what you meant with
    , was that your MBA or TV?

Btw, when connected, what does show up in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement?
    Is the MBA's display mirrored?

Can you test the cable and TV with another computer?

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I tried to connect my Mini to my LCD TV using the HDMI port on the TV. It wouldn't work. I got the DVI/HDMI lead checked out and that was OK. I didn't have anything to check out the HDMI port on the TV, so I'm using the TV's VGA socket. From what you say, you don't have a VGA. At the time, I was told that some HDMI port aren't set up for computer inputs.

9. Scotty89Uk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used my dvi to hdmi on my pc and it works...just not on my mac. Also I tried all the resolutions on the mac....didnt work at all. wat do u mean repair permissions? and yeh i mirrored the displays