USA prices vs UK prices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Notoriously-RyP, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Notoriously-RyP macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've been pricing around recently for an iMac 27" and Macbook Air 11" and found that they are both substantially cheaper from the US Apple Store. For example, there's a refurb MBA 11" for $849 (£534) in the US Store, whereas the exact same laptop is £719 in the UK Store. With regards to the iMac, the refurb is £1,119 in the UK Store and it's $1,419 (£893) in the US Store.

Firstly, why on earth are the prices so substantially different? Secondly, if I did buy either of the products when I visit America this summer (will probably be the MBA due to transport difficulties with the iMac), would I experience any difficulties with the functionality in the UK?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question.

2. hafr macrumors 68030

The UK prices include 20 % VAT, the american prices doesn't include sales tax. Customs fee and different customer protection laws are the two other reasons.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

so when it says $xxx on the us store how much do they really pay?

OP: seems really unfair doesn't it?

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You don't save as much money as you think. When you bring the items back into the UK, you legally should need to declare the items to customs and pay the VAT then. The Laptop and the desktop are functionally the same as the UK versions, except the power adaptor will have a US Plug. Also the keyboards will be US rather than UK. I know the laptop power adaptors are universal and will work in the UK/US (with the correct plug). I am not sure about the iMac. You will not be covered by warranty for the desktop in the UK, but you will on the notebook as Apple does give international warranty on laptops.

The US keyboards for the iMac could be replaced with a UK one at more expense. Finally you will see a reduced resale price if you try to sell a US keyboard Mac in the UK, when you want to upgrade.

----------

It depends on the State that you buy it in.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

but on average how much on top of that price do they pay?

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Google sales tax in USA

7. Notoriously-RyP thread starter macrumors newbie

Even with the 4% sales tax in the area I'll be purchasing it's still much cheaper. Also, I can't see the keyboard being much of an issue, it's only really the currency symbols that are different, right?

8. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

9. All Taken macrumors 6502a

10. Notoriously-RyP thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would you want to?

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If you go over to the States, go for the MacBook Air, you can put it in your carry-on luggage and declare nothing, as you could claim it was your laptop anyway.

12. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

It's not just the currency symbols, quite a few of the things like ", etc are different. They'll still be a qwerty keyboard though. It's up to you if that's an issue. Google the keyboard layouts. Certainly the international keyboard is irritatingly different to the UK standard.

Don't discount the issue of not being able to take your machine for warranty repair.

13. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

All Macs adjust for the local electrical supply.

There isn't a huge difference in the keyboards. In fact I use the Canadian Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 on my Mac Pro here in the UK.

----------

Yes you can. I bought my 2007 white MacBook at an American PX in Germany. The case cracked after about 2.5 years and under warranty Apple at the Trafford Centre changed part of the case and the keyboard for a British one. I would have had to wait 10 days for the American keyboard, but the case and Brit keyboard only took 4 hours and they did it while I shopped. :)

14. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Some people like yourself want a cheaper machine from abroad and then think they can swap the keyboard for a British layout, that's why.

I've heard the warranty issue argument raised hundreds of times and I'll settle it before it goes on. You can exercise your warranty in any country apple operates regardless of purchase origin. Had a 15" pro from the states that required this answer when I had a problem.

----------

Talk about stretching an event to say you can.... If you did not want to replace the unibody of a modern MacBook then you can't swap the keyboard, happy? :rolleyes:

15. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Thanks for that. Useful to know if I go to the US this year. Might get an iPad or iPhone if the timing is right.

16. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

No the UK (non-Apple) standard keyboard is irritatingly different to the international keyboard. :mad:

Unless you have OCD (really bad) you shouldn't have a problem adapting.

The warranty is international.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

There are more keyboard layouts to choose from than there are changes in how the buttons are placed. But I have no idea how the UK and US layouts differ, or if there might even be several US layouts.

Either way, changing keyboards doesn't automatically mean you need to change the unibody.

18. All Taken macrumors 6502a

It does if you want to change between US and British keyboard layouts! Which are the two versions the topic is about :eek:

19. malman89 macrumors 68000

So for those that are TL;DR

- Add sales tax, 4-10%
    - Keyboard layouts are slightly different. For iMacs you can purchase a UK one or just deal. Laptops fuzzier, probably just deal
    - Warranty is worldwide, duh
    - Buying and packing a laptop without claiming will be no issue, so no VAT if you go that route (morality police step aside). Probably not possible with the iMac
    - Different plugs. Voltage doesn't matter (they carry the full range), but you'll get US plugs and either need to use a UK prong adapter or find someone to swap or have to buy a UK plug.

20. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

Yes the Unibody might be different, in my instance the keyboard need replacing on a 2007 white plastic MacBook.

However you can change the keyboard layout in your preferences panel, so unless you are of the 'hunt and peck' variety of user :p, you wouldn't notice a difference.

BTW I work with thousands of documents each year, so I am familiar with the topic.

21. hafr macrumors 68030

A quick look at Apple's website says you're right. But the international english layout seems to be identical to the UK layout. Could be good for future reference, or for the OP to know.