USA Today App going to fee based

Discussion in 'iPad' started by markosb, Apr 4, 2010.

1. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

Subscription July 4 2010, it is free till then, well not free but the cost is picked up by another company. Read it in the USA Today app.

2. talkingnewmedia macrumors regular

talkingnewmedia

Thanks for the heads up. I would think that USAT has a bit of a "paper" problem: all those editions sitting outside hotel rooms can not be easily replaced electronically. I don't mind reading USAT while on the road, but if I was going to pay for a paper USAT would be far down the list of papers I'd choose.

Oops: forgot to add "posted from my iPad".

3. cred0021 macrumors newbie

I have no problem subscribing to the USA Today (or any other paper) on the iPad - but it needs to have every article that the paper edition has.

4. markosb thread starter macrumors 6502

markosb

I have no issue with USA Today having a fee, but on the App Store page that info is not in the description. I only read it in an article on USA Today, I think that is a bad way to conduct things, why not be straight up with the cost instead of hiding it. I like USA Today, I used to have it on my iPod, I like the newspaper as well.

If they charge me, I want (like you said) more articles, the app also has ads, but then again so do all newspapers, so I guess I will shut up and go with the flow:)

5. Pared macrumors 65816

That blows. I love the paper/app. But I don't think I'd be willing to pay for it.

USAToday.com for me.

6. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I don't know how they would implement this other than an app update. I guess I'll always be on 1.0.

7. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I would think they already have in-app payments presently included in the current app. You would probably get warnings as the expiration came closer to subscribe.

8. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yeah I agree about the "up front" part. Toyota, are you taking notes? ;)
    Sorry but I just couldn't resist :rolleyes:
    Anyway, I don't like hidden costs and think that is a very bad business practice.

10. kbuck1984 macrumors member

Well I guess I won't be using that app. Im sure someone else just as good will come by for free.

11. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The problem is that all of these publishing entities coming out of the gate seem to think people will pay full newsstand pricing for a single issue. They don't seem to get that we view this as: no paper / no presses / no transportation = lower cost.

12. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

If it has all that the paper has I would gladly subscribe to it. But it's missing a lot.