USA Today: Apple/Verizon Consider iPhone for 2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfan881, Apr 26, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Verizon (VZ) and Apple (AAPL) are discussing the possible development of an iPhone for Verizon, with the goal of introducing it next year, people familiar with the situation say.

It would mark the first time Apple has produced a version of the iPhone for a CDMA wireless network, which is different from AT&T's GSM technology. Vodafone, co-owner of Verizon Wireless, already sells the iPhone in Europe

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2009-04-26-apple-verizon-iphone_N.htm?csp=34

I would Love this again a much better network on Verizon and the iphone why wouldnt verizon turn this down if they screw up this time im leaving verizon behind. :D

2. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Didn't Tim Cook squash this at the recent conference call:

Why build a second phone which only competes in a few markets? I'm not saying it's expensive or unreasonable... But why do it when everyone is basically headed to LTE in 2011. That's when I think Verizon may see the iPhone. It really depends on how the iPhone is doing and how much AT&T wants to work with Apple vs. Verizon working with Apple.

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

well there never gonna confirm rumors thats apples going but if apple wants the iPhone to be the number one smart phone in the market the only way it will hapen is if Apple Spreads beyond AT&T.

4. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Verizon's LTE network won't be built out that much in 2011. It's a much longer and more expensive transition, since none of the current CDMA equipment is compatible with LTE.

Sounds like more cellular muckraking.

5. silentsal macrumors member

Verizon won't get the Iphone until 2012 atleast. Apple wouldn't build a phone for Verizon unless AT&T can use it to. Since AT&T's LTE network probably won't be fully functional until 2012...that is when the Verizon Iphone will most likely be released.
    I'm tired of news sites always claiming something is going to happen even though with use of a little common sense shows that it just isn't going to happen.

By the way, Iphone v3 will be announced during WWDC and will be released July 17th...just to try and stop one more post about when the things going to come out.

6. gigidey macrumors member

Did'nt Apple just say that they don't plan to leave ATT about a week ago?

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Companies always lie.

MS and Sony have both said they didn't plan on pricedrops for the Xbox/PS3 and then dropped the price the next day.

That being said, I wouldn't expect a Verizon iPhone until after they go LTE.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

Why not? If making a phone that is capable for Verizon makes apple more money, why wouldn't they do it? The deal would have to be sweet enough to leave AT&T's exclusive deal, but if it is, why wouldn't they make it?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt it.
    Unless Verizon made Apple an offer they cant refuse....

10. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Then Apple will take that offer to AT&T and see if they want to match it.
    The iPhone is AT&T's cash cow, so I'm pretty sure they would pay up for its exclusivity.

11. pavvento macrumors 6502

Things however are slightly different now that the iPhone is bringing in money for things other than sales and carrier agreements.

I don't know how much money Apple has made off of their 1 billion apps, or how many people are downloading music off their phone, but they might be at a point where they'd take less money as a way of getting more customers, which open up even additional sources of revenue.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it's a different landscape than it was in 2007.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, it would be a great bargaining tool.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

All he said was that they originally chose to make one phone type. And that CDMA will be replaced sooner or later.

He didn't say anything about the future number of models. And GSM will also be replaced if everyone goes to LTE.

Basically, meaningless doublespeak that leaves open any possibility.