Usability of older macs today (CD, C2D, ETC)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Canablis, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Canablis macrumors newbie

I am the proud owner of a 2006 C2D iMac 2ghz, and 2 2006 core duo MacBooks 1.83 and they still do EVERYTHING I have thrown at it from video editing at 720p to windows gaming...

Is there something these cannot do? Do you know of something that they still do well but is not known of that well?

I personally think they are GREAT for entry level users or even power users who don't game on their systems all that much as beaters......What do you think? PLEASE no damn spamming, trolling....I realize these aren't the newest things...

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They're not able to run anything newer than 10.7. That alone will cause problems as programs stop supporting those older versions. Their overall security will start to become compromised as Apple won't updated them anymore either.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

They're probably still great. Most apps have Lion as minimum requirements so you're fine for a while. Even in the PowerPC forum there are people still using their Powerbooks for daily tasks.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The usability of the system is how much you are able to use it and if it meets your needs.

My main system right now is a 2008 C2D 15" MBP.

I just ordered an SSD to give it a boost and I expect that I will be using it for many more years to come.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have two Macbooks-a late 2007(in black) and a mid-2009.

I just bought the late 2007 the past week, while I've had the mid-2009 for a few months.

I consider the mid-2009 in particular to be completely and totally useable. It's running Yosemite(officially supported on this model). It was a bit sluggish with its original(failing) hard drive. I put a cheap 240gb SSD in it, and in overall use and responsiveness it feels as fast as my Late 2011 Macbook Pro. Admittedly, when I really push it the MBP is still faster, but just for browsing the web or other light use, this Macbook is more than fine.

The Late 2007 is still running Leopard, at least until I can get around to upgrading it to Lion. It has a 120gb SSD, and with that(despite the 2gb of RAM) it's blazing fast in light tasks.

Since someone else mentioned Powerbooks, my 15" DLSD Powerbook(last generation of Powerbooks before the switch to Intel) remains quite useable both on the web and for word processing, etc. My next older Powerbook, an 867mhz "Titanium" runs Leopard alright but does get bogged down on some websites.