Usable external graphics card for mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hwall, Jan 11, 2011.

1. hwall macrumors newbie

Does any one know of a usable external graphics card solution for the macbook pro?

What I am trying to do is occasionally move some of my professional workstation away from my upstairs office to be more sociable with my new family. I still need the mac pro in my studio so moving it is not an option. I am trying to find a way of running off of my mbp on the dining table where the misses and little horror are.

I need to run,
    mbp 15 with its own display as master
    Dell UltraSharp U2711 27 at full rez (2560 x 1440)
    Wacom CINTIQ 21UX at ful rez (1600 x 1200)

All displays must be capable of supporting their respective colour profiles.

Have searched online and only turned up cheep usb solutions (dont know if they are any good) and have also searched this forum with no avail.
    Does any one have any experience with these or know of any better products maybe firewire?

Any help, experience or opinions welcome. Thank you.

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post just seamed the most appropriate.

2. trippp7s macrumors newbie

your best option would be a mini displayport to dual link dvi adapter for the dell ultrasharp and a company called triton makes a usb to dvi adapter thats $80, sold at bestbuy for the other monitor. there are no true external graphics cards, but this should work just fine for how youre using it.

()usb and firewire are far too slow to support a functional GPU/dedicated memory()

3. trippp7s macrumors newbie

your best option would be a mini displayport to dual link dvi adapter for the dell ultrasharp and a company called triton makes a usb to dvi adapter thats $80, sold at bestbuy for the other monitor. there are no true external graphics cards, but this should work just fine for how youre using it.

()usb and firewire are far too slow to support a functional GPU/dedicated memory()

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah there are, but it won't be cheap, and there's a question of whether or not op can even use such a device.

OP, what year is your MBP? Does it have an expresscard slot (not SD card) on the side?

5. hwall, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

hwall thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for being a bit vague.
    It's the 2010 i7 mbp 15 so they swapped my lovely expresscard slot for an sd card.
    I already have the dvi adaptor and have been runing the cintiq from it, so that's not a problem.
    Idealy I don't rely Want to lose the responsiveness of the cintiq as ist a big pen tablet and I use it as my main working surface. I just wanted to run three displays as my work flow seams fit better.
    Does any one have any experience with the abouve adaptor from tritton? i assume this is the one you reffered to http://www.trittontechnologies.com/index.php/products/usb_video_technology/see2-xtreme-uv200/
    will I see stuttering or lagging?
    Also I'm in the UK.

6. hwall thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume you mean the asus XG Station or similar I came across it some time ago but apple stole my express card slot on the last refresh, besides I dont think there mac compatable and I have never seen one for sale anywhere.

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

If a laptop has an external PCI 2.0 slot, you can use ATI/AMD cards.

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

I cant get you up to your full 2550x1440, but a Matrox TripleHead2Go DP Edition will support three screens at lower resolution or two screens up to 1920x1200 for output out of your one DP port (plus a USB of course). They're around 350$ I think. Matrox is definitely one of the best graphics companies out there, check them out.