Usable RAM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I'mAMac, May 20, 2010.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I'm running Win7 through bootcamp on a MBP and I have 4 gigs installed but it says that only 2 are usable. Is this because I am running the 32bit version of Win7 or should I have more RAM available?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Programs in Win32 are limited to 2GB of RAM in general. Your system will be using 3GB or so but each program only see 2GB usually. A 64bit OS will open up all the RAM but 32bit programs will still be limited.

3. awilson155 macrumors newbie

not sure if all Windows 7 install disks are like this (i have windows 7 professional) but it has both 32 and 64 bit versions on it. You can use the same serial as well, even if it is a 32-bit serial. Just don't enter it when you install, then activate it after you have installed it. put win7 x64 on and you are good to go

4. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yeah it must be only for professional because I have home premium and the disk just says 32 bit :( Oh well

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Any 32<->64 bit install is not considered an upgrade, so you would need to reinstall your apps and data. You will also likely have to reactivate Windows over the phone.

B