Usage and Standby times one and the same???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Oct 23, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Really started keeping track (and screenshots) of my 4S battery life lately.

In doing so I noticed that the usage time goes up in minutes whenever you have the screen on, or have something (music or gps) running while the screen is off.

Standby however, seems to go up in minutes regardless if the screen is off or on.

I guess I'm just confused... But shouldnt usage time go up only when your "using" the phone and that standby should only go up when your not using the phone at all? Why would me using the phone count as standby time? :confused:

Also has this always been the case? Even w/ the iPhone 4, 3Gs, etc?

Thanks for your help :)

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

I know me too :)

Anyone out there know both answers?

4. Captain America macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure it was that way with previous phones (don't hold me to it....memory kind of sucks).

My guess as to why this happens is to illustrate the total time it's been away from a full charge so you can compare it to how much you've used it?

Right now mine is:

90% charge
    47 minutes of usage
    2hrs 28min standby

5. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Viewing Usage Statistics

Awareness of how you use your iPhone and knowing how long your battery typically lasts can help you improve its battery life. You can view your iPhone usage statistics by tapping the Settings icon on the Home screen and choosing General > Usage. Under the “Time since last full charge” heading you’ll see two items:

• Usage: Amount of time iPhone has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The phone is awake when you’re on a call, using email, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving text messages, or during certain background tasks such as auto-checking email.
    • Standby: Amount of time iPhone has been powered on since its last full charge, including the time the phone has been asleep.

source: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Dave