Usage data carried into a backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MST1, Oct 14, 2010.

1. MST1 macrumors newbie

Having lost my 3GS recently, a received a replacement from my insurer yesterday. It looks brand new, but it arrived packaged in a non-Apple box. It might be my imagination, but it seems to be losing charge quicker than I was previously used to.

I've had a look at the usage data and it tells me that the phone has had 5 days of call time. When I activated the new phone I restored it from a backup of my old phone via itunes.

Might be a silly question, but does anyone know if the usage data would have been imported by the backup? I.e. is it just telling me the usage of my previous phone, or has this handset actually been used for 5 days of call-time (which might explain an underperforming battery)?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, lifetime usage data is carried over by the backup, so what you're seeing is not the phone's lifetime, but basically how much time you have been on the phone since you've ever owned an iPhone. I've checked and noticed this ever since I upgraded from the original iPhone to the 3G. My current iPhone 4 (which was fresh out of a sealed box on launch day) has in its "lifetime" counter all the 28 Days, 6 Hours of time I've spent on the phone since that first iPhone I bought in 2007.

Dumb way to do it, but they've been doing it that way since iPhone backups have existed.

3. MST1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the info. I've been amazed at how much gets stored in the backup (brightness settings, alarms etc).

I guess if it is a new handset it might take a few battery cycles before it reaches its full potential.